Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advice- 6 Week Old

Default Need Advice- 6 Week Old

Good Afternoon!

Lately my 6 week old has been starting a new pattern while eating, and needless to say....it's highly annoying.

She will eat 10-12 minutes on one side, then switch to the other for 2-3 minutes. I burp her in between sides and sometimes change her diaper to wake her up a little. She seems very happy, smiling and content and when I try to latch her to the other side, she fights me a little and has trouble latching. But I can usually get her on there 2-3 minutes before she's "done". NO! She tricks me! 30 mins-1 hour later, she's eating her hand again and I try to attach her again.

Lately she's been crying and kicking and pulling, I know there's milk there!! She will usually reattach eventually and finish out to about 10 minutes (including the 2-3 mins she tried earlier).

Any ideas? I really want her to just eat the first time we nurse...she used to do that and be ok for 2-3 hours, now it's this pattern.

Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU!
    Proud mama of baby Natalie. Born 5-19-12, 8 lbs, 5 oz, 22 inches. She's gonna be tall and strong!

Default Re: Need Advice- 6 Week Old

Sounds like a normal 6 week old baby pattern to me. 6 weeks is also prime time for a growth spurt, and this may make baby eat every 30-60 minutes. It's Ok.

If you haven't noticed yet, as soon as you think baby settles on a pattern, they change it up. It will be like this forever, I think.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi! I assume baby is growing & gaining normally, output (poops) normal up to now? I jsut want to make sure you do not have any supply concerns-

In general you cannot make a breastfed baby eat on a particular pattern-nor do you want to. That is scheduling, just by another name, and it messes up breastfeeding. Even just trying to keep baby to a previous pattern-it's the same thing. Instead, it is best to let baby nurse as much and the way baby wants to, as long as weight gain is good.
    Even with bottle fed, formula fed babies, the recommendation nowadays is to feed frequently, on cue, and to bottle feed in a way that baby can better contriol how much baby takes at a time. Not that many people do that, but it is considered healthier and more like the normal way a baby eats-because it is more like breastfeeding.

Later a feeding pattern will emerge again, naturally. But as pp points out, feeding and sleeping patterns tend to change with frequency.

Babies get hungry when they get hungry, not on some imposed pattern. They also nurse not only for food but for comfort and security. This is good, natural, important, normal and expected.

I suggest you not try to make baby nurse on both sides every nursing session. If she wants to great, if not, that is fine too. Insisting baby take both sides per feeding is a technique that increases milk production. So unless your milk production is low, it could cause over production which could lead to more issues.

Is it better for you if baby nurses on a every 2-3 hour pattern? Are you feeling tied down at home due to the lack of predictability? Have you been able to try nursing in public yet? If you need ideas for that or there is another issue let us know, someone will have likely btdt.

Thanks everyone for the advice! She's VERY healthy and gaining weight/length like crazy!

I would like to get her on more of a schedule just because I'm going back to work in a couple weeks. I want to make sure I'll have enough pumped for her when she's at daycare.

I'm so confused about this....what if I don't produce enough for day to day bottles? Because there's times she'll nurse so much during the day and what if that happens at daycare and they don't have enough of my milk?

Sorry, FTM here, I'm paranoid. :P

Also, would love some advice on starting out pumping? How many times a day before going back to work? When do I start?

Also, had some first experience feeding in public today, it causes me to be kinda anxious actually...I personally just feel more comfortable at home. (but being at home with her all the time, I literally can't get anything done).
    Proud mama of baby Natalie. Born 5-19-12, 8 lbs, 5 oz, 22 inches. She's gonna be tall and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katwoman24 View Post
    I would like to get her on more of a schedule just because I'm going back to work in a couple weeks. I want to make sure I'll have enough pumped for her when she's at daycare.
    Scheduling feedings can be dangerous to your milk supply and your baby's growth. There is no reason why you cannot feed on demand at home while you are working. I never scheduled my son's feedings at home, and he did just fine at daycare. In fact although he was also fed on demand by bottle at daycare, he fell into a fairly predictable routine on his own accord there simply because of the more structured days.

I'm so confused about this....what if I don't produce enough for day to day bottles? Because there's times she'll nurse so much during the day and what if that happens at daycare and they don't have enough of my milk?
    Don't worry about this yet. As long as you have a decent, new pump and properly sized horns, there is no reason to think that will be an issue. There is a working and pumping forum here full of experienced mamas who can help out if problems arise. Plus, the more she nurses at home, the better your milk supply will be and the easier it will be to pump.

Also, would love some advice on starting out pumping? How many times a day before going back to work? When do I start?
    I would wait until a week or two before you go back to work to start pumping. Start by pumping once a day. Pick a time (mornings usually yield the most milk) and pump every day at that time. You only need to pump what you will need for your first day back at work (1-1.5 ounces of milk for every hour you are away) plus maybe an extra bottle or two. Bottles should be small 2-4 ounces (my son never took more than 3 ounces at a time until well over a year). Your DCP should use slow flow nipples and paced bottle feeding techniques.

Also, had some first experience feeding in public today, it causes me to be kinda anxious actually...I personally just feel more comfortable at home. (but being at home with her all the time, I literally can't get anything done).
    I liked to nurse my baby in a sling when he was little and in an Ergo now. I like to be able to keep doing what I'm doing and it is very discreet (I've talked to strangers on the street while nursing my son). With or without the sling, I think the most important thing is to dress in a way you feel comfortable. I wear a tank or cami that I can pull down under a t-shirt or button down top that I can lift up. NIP just takes a little practice, and before you know it you won't think twice about it.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

is she gaining weight ok? My younger son never eats for so long when he is awake. Only when he is half asleep or half awake might he suck for an hour or even two. When I really want him to eat (my breast is too full, or I think he has been up for too long), I breastfeed him while bouncing on a fitball. He usually falls asleep in 5-10 minutes with breast in his mouth.