Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think your baby is nursing too much? Read this!

Default Think your baby is nursing too much? Read this!

I stumbled on this article last night and it really hit home for me. So often I find I am reassuring moms that their baby’s normal newborn behavior is normal and necessary. So many moms are made to feel inadequate or that they have a breastfeeding problem if they ‘have’ to nurse frequently or that they are spoiling their babies for responding quickly to their needs. Even though we have known for so long that VERY frequent nursing is normal and needed in the newborn period, we still have this mistaken idea about what is normal and healthy behavior for newborns.

Anyway I think this article addresses this issue from a moms point of view very well: It’s called “So I nursed him every 45 minutes” http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/law45com.html

Default Re: Think your baby is nursing too much? Read this!

Thank you for posting this!!

I can't read this enough
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Love it. Need to get DH to read it.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

If only I could get the moms I talk to to read this when they quit bf because their babies "eat all the time".
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Thank you, for every moment I questioned my decision to EBF and demand nurse, I have been assured I did the right thing! I want to share this with everyone I know!

Thanks so much for the article. There have been so many days in the first few weeks when i felt I wasnt making enough milk. It made me feel as if i want mother enough, as if i was failing my daughter by feeding her so often. She is exactly 3 months old... and i am happy that she's been only breastfed (and expressed BM when i am not available). I am so happy that I made it to 3 months and eagerly looking fwd to continuing it as long as i can

Truth of the matter for me...breast feeding is hard in the beginning because that's all you do! No time for yourself, the house falls to shambles, you miss gatherings of friends and family even when they are in your own house and you really want to drink mass quantities of caffeine because you are so tired (but can't). There are numerous other things you miss out on too.

That said, time passes, and your child grows and before you know it you are nursing your child wondering if this will be the last session (as it was with my daughter when she weaned herself at 14mo). And then you're sad it's over.

Thanks for this article...it makes me feel better going though the newborn phase for the second times
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.
    Sydney and like crazy while holding down a busy full time job!

I'm a first time mom and absolutely love breastfeeding my 9-week old son. He was born via stat emergency cesarean but was a pro at feeding right away and I have breastfed exclusively since his birth. I enjoy sitting with him and nursing, but to say he feeds often is an understatement... He is attached to my breast usually 30-50 minutes of every waking hour-- if I'm seated and holding him, he wants to latch. Even if I'm standing or pacing he'll whimper until I let him latch- sometimes escalating to crying/screaming if I don't quickly comply. He eats until he's full, but then continues to suckle, often falling asleep while suckling, and waking if I break his seal. I'm not working now so the time consumption is no problem and I will continue to feed on cue, I just want to be sure that it's a healthy connection and that near constant feeding/suckling is to be expected sometimes. Thanks for the input!

Definitely need DH to read this! Thank you!

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"