Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis?

Default Mastitis?

Hi, it's me again. I have a new issue/question...

I have been exclusively pumping now and have accepted the fact that I may never breastfeed again. For (1) my old sores have completely healed only to be replaced by new ones (I sometimes don't adjust the flanges correctly so it creates a blister on the side of my nipple) and (2) she still hasn't opened her mouth wide enough despite the pace bottle feeding. I pump shortly after each feed which is about 8-10 feeds a day to mimic breastfeeding for 15-20 mins. I produce 2-3 ounces each breast as well.

But lately I've noticed that the milk I've been collecting are a bit stringy and clumpy. I have been researching it and most of my readings have said that it's mastitis. But the weird thing about it is, I have no engorgement, redness, fever or pain at all, nor does it go away with after a very hot shower. As a matter of fact, with massage, my breasts feel completely empty. To make matters worse, it first started with the right breast and have moved to the left as well. What could it be?
    Last edited by @llli*noodles610; July 16th, 2014 at 05:36 AM.

Default Re: Mastitis?

Stringy/clumpy milk is often associated with mastitis, but it can also be normal, or be related to nipple trauma (e.g. from a poor latch or poor shield fit). A soy lecithin supplement, fixing your baby's latch, reducing saturated fat in your diet, and adjusting your shield fit may all help.

I think a lot of people are shocked by the occasional stringy/clumpy nature of their milk, because we're all most familiar with the pasteurized and homogenized milk we get from the store. But any dairy farmer will tell you that there is a filter on the milk tank to catch all the stringy/clumpy stuff (and also the cow hair and hay) that is normal for milk straight from the cow!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am exclusively pumping so I really can't fix the latch. My right nipple has no open wounds and is the breast with the most clumpy/stringy milk. I typically don't eat food high in fat and I am very well hydrated.

Can I have mastitis without the pain?

plugged ducts are actually where the strings/clumps come from, if the don't get cleared (as in the strings/clumps coming out) soon enough then is when you get mastitis.
    plugs often cause pain, mastitis would likely be painful along with engorged and feeling Sick. I don't have any direct experience with either situation though.

What can I do to make it stop?

Well, since it's not really a problem at this point I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd far rather see you work on the cracked nipples, the poor latch, and what sounds like poorly fitting shields. Solve those problems- or as many of them as possible- and I think the clumps/strings will go away, too. Can you see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for some hands-on help?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"