Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best bottle to not screw up latch/suck?

Default Best bottle to not screw up latch/suck?

I'm making a baby registry and my fiancé definitely wants to have frozen milk and be able to bottle feed for plan B. Is there a bottle/nipple that is less likely to interfere with breastfeeding?

Default Re: Best bottle to not screw up latch/suck?

I think there are probably a variety that work for different babies. We've used the First Years Breastflow bottle with both kids and haven't had any problems yet. However, I'm heading back to work soon and LO will be increasing his bottle usage from once in a while to 4 times a day, so we'll see. The IBCLC I use recommends those bottles. No bottle has as slow a flow as the breast, though, so it still comes out a lot faster for the babies.

Be sure to read this link if you haven't:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Hi and congratulations!

Ok, so what bottle nipples. Actually, when bottle feeding a breastfeeding baby, type of bottle or nipple is not all that important, manufacturers claims to the contrary. Unless I am mistaken, (always a possibility) no one has proven that their bottle or nipple is any more effective at preventing breast refusal or latch issues than any others.

I would suggest, get the smallest bottles you possibly can, because small meals are what is biologically normal. Also, get the slowest flow nipples the ones with the fewest/smallest holes) available.
    But when bottle feeding the breastfed baby, what is by far most important is HOW the bottles are given. Here is information (entirely free) on how to bottle feed the breastfed baby in order to try to avoid the scenarios of a too fast flow and/or overfeeding that can lead to breast refusal. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...FD00534CAAC56E

Also, did you know emergency supplements can be given any number of ways? Syringe, eyedropper, spoon, open cup? Also, If a baby requires supplements and can latch and nurse, the method least likely to cause any issues is to supplement at the breast using a lactation aid.

If you are planning to lay aside milk in the freezer, you have to get it out somehow. While some moms can make this happen quite well using hand expression, for most moms these days, that means pumping. A good pump is a big expense that is usually only needed when/if there are separations or when/if there is some serious issue going on early on and pumping is required. So you might want to think about that. Many mothers breastfeed just fine without ever needing to pump.

I hope you include on your registry the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) Also many moms register/ask for the gift of an appointment with a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) just in case they need professional help with breastfeeding. This might be a more effective 'plan B' than bottles. Another suggestion I have is for the two of you to attend a LLL meeting in your area if one is offered, BEFORE baby comes, if possible. These are free, and usually dads and expecting dads are welcome. Of course there are classes etc. usually offered by hospitals or midwives, but LLL meetings are also very relaxed, and you will hear stories of real life breastfeeding/new parenting there. So check out what is around in your area.

I am not sure why your fiance' believes there needs to be a plan B. Mothers have breastfed their babies for the history of the human race. All mammals breastfeed. Lactation failure (as in, there is not enough milk, or a baby is literally unable to nurse) is actually exceedingly rare.
    What is common unfortunately, is that mothers are undermined in their desire to breastfeed because they do not have the information they need, and they are given unhelpful or undermining suggestions, including that baby is supplemented unnecessarily. That is why the book and LLL etc. can be so helpful.

Here is a little more info you might like: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...tgoodsense.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vanne View Post
    I'm making a baby registry and my fiancé definitely wants to have frozen milk and be able to bottle feed for plan B. Is there a bottle/nipple that is less likely to interfere with breastfeeding?
    If you know that bottles will be needed because of going back to work, there is a book that can help you choose the best nipple for your baby's latch
    Balancing Breast & Bottle by Amy Peterson and Mindy Harmer
    You won't be able to make this informed decision till after you are breastfeeding successfully. If you must have people get you bottles, you want only one of each type, since you won't know what will work till later when you can test them out, with the newborn or slowest flow nipples possible and the smallest bottles possible. The book also contains info about getting off to a good start.
    The book Making More Milk is also a good one.

PPs suggestions are good ones and I think the breastflow bottles are a possible good choice, I've used them, if you are willing to deal with a 2 part nipple. When it comes to shape and/or one part nipple, I've found the Lansinoh mOmma nipple to be a good shape for us. It is a wide base nipple that will fit the lansinoh, Avent, Hygena and perhaps some other wide bottles and bottle rings. Hygena makes an adapter if you want to put a wide nipple onto a standard bottle thread but it doesn't fit all wide mouth bottle rings so some research is needed. The Avent bottles are pretty small and easy to wash because they are short and wide but 2 oz of milk still looks small in them hence why I mention the adapters for going from wide to standard since a 2-2.5 oz cylinder type bottle is easier when daddy or grandma or daycare is likely to complain upon seeing a half empty bottle they get to give while you are out.

Advertising that a bottle nipple is closer to breastfeeding is just that, advertising.

The WAY a bottle is given is more important than the nipple but any bottle use has the possibility of undermining breastfeeding. Don't use them too early if it can be avoided. During the first 6 weeks you want to nurse as often as baby will latch and if there are ANY issues at all, get help ASAP. Even just slightly tender nipples warrant getting help. Any noises from the Dr about weight loss/gain or needing to supplement are worth an emergency visit with a lactation consultant.

congrats and good luck

When I went back to work we tried tons of different bottles. Turns out it was just time needed to learn how and we ended up using the bottles that came free with my pump. We spent a lot of money trying to find the perfect bottle.
    I'm grateful to be able to stay home now and look forward to avoiding the whole bottle/cup/syringe feed thing with our second.
    Congrats, good luck and enjoy filling out that registry.