Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Light at the end of the tunnel with nipple pain?

Default Light at the end of the tunnel with nipple pain?

My son is 12 days old. Breastfeeding has gone fine on his end from the beginning - he has been eating well, filling up diapers like a champ and gaining a ton of weight (he was 7 lbs 12 oz at birth, 8 lbs 5 oz today).

Because he was eating so well, a few times at the beginning I let him get away with a shallow latch just to pacify him and I am still paying the price for it. My nipples are so incredibly sore and painful, with cracks and scabs that just get worse again every time he eats. His initial latch is toe-curlingly painful (especially on the right side), but once he gets going it feels fine. I have tried lanolin, letting BM dry on the nipples, and have been using the Lansinoh Soothie gel pads the last couple of days. They do seem to be somewhat getting better, but I think I just need reassurance that this is not going to be forever. I can't help but keep thinking of how much easier and less painful life would be if I were feeding him formula instead. Breastfeeding is really important to me so I don't want to feed him formula, but it's just one of those "grass is greener" thoughts.

I'm a second time mom but my journey with my first son was completely different - he was born at 31 weeks and spent 5 weeks in the NICU, so he started off bottle-fed BM while I pumped, and it was a much different experience than having a full-size newborn attached to me around the clock. Really, really hard also, but in a different way.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that things will get better. Thanks.

Default Re: Light at the end of the tunnel with nipple pain?

This will get better! Cracks and pain usually vanish as the baby grows. Bigger baby = bigger mouth = no more pain or damage for mom. One unfortunate truth about cracks is that it's sometimes easier to prevent them than to heal them once they have formed. But since you can't go back in time, let's focus on healing what is there now!

What positions are you using? And has baby been checked for lip and tongue ties? Can you see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC?

I so feel for you! I experienced much of the same with my last. I didn't find lanolin helpful at all -- for me, it didn't do anything (except make a goopy, sticky mess). But nipple butter was a lifesaver. Just thought I'd mention it in case you want to give it a try.

I am going to try to see an IBCLC next week if things aren't better. I have had a heck of a time figuring it out with my insurance, but I think it's all squared away now. I have been doing cradle/cross-cradle - I've tried football hold but it is not comfortable for either of us. And we can't seem to figure out the reclining one either.

I don't think he has any anatomical issues because I feel like he would have more trouble eating if so, right?

I have some Motherlove nipple cream that I absolutely loved last time, but I read somewhere online that it's not as healing as Lanolin because it keeps the nipples too moist or something. Maybe I will go back to it. For now the Soothies do seem to be helping.

Thanks for the commiseration, ladies!

My baby had both tongue and lip ties, and she ate just fine and gained incredibly well. I was just in horrible pain with lots of cracks and bleeding. I found Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter was my favorite for healing (I didn't like how lanolin felt at all!). It just feels good, too. Cross-cradle was (and still is) the least painful position for me. I can never really figure out the laid back position with my big baby (at 10 months she's almost half as tall as me!), so I understand how that feels.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*azjen View Post
    I don't think he has any anatomical issues because I feel like he would have more trouble eating if so, right?
    Not necessarily. Sometimes a tie is structured in such a way that it doesn't affect feeding but still hurts mom.

Things will get better, but you should see a lactation consultant to be sure there aren't other issues. My son had a tongue tie but was gaining fine. I, on the other hand, had cracks, bleeding, and mastitis! After the tie was corrected things got better but it took awhile to heal. I found Jack Newman's all purpose nipple ointment to be wonderful: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ename=doc-APNO