Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problems with milk blebs

Default problems with milk blebs

I am having an issue with milk blebs. I do warm compresses before and after feedings to try to get it to open up. I have tried olive oil on a cotton ball. hot showers and try to open it then with no success. please help because these hurt really bad.

Default Re: problems with milk blebs

Have you tried the sterile needle technique? That works well if the milk is really backing up behind the bleb.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i have not tried the sterile needle technique. i have been to the LC twice for that and my ob/gyn doctor twice. she put me on an antibiotic starting two days ago but the doctor didn't know what to think. is the sterile needle something to do yourself or go to doctor?

You do it yourself. The doctor can't feel when the needle has gone too far, but you can. What you do is flame a needle until the tip is red hot, then cool it down, and then gently pick at the skin of the blister until you can express some milk from the blistered area. If you can already get milk to bead up over the blister, there's no great need for the needle as the blister is already broken. You use the needle when you feel like milk is really backed up behind the blister.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ok. i will try that. i have also started using lecithin too. hopefully they will stop. i breastfeed my daughter 18 months and i never had this issue. thank you