Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: eating every hour

Default eating every hour

just as it says. again. I know I posted about this before, but that WAS around growth spurt time (3 weeks).

my lo is 4wks ( and now 2 days) old. she's bottle fed breast milk and formula, and breastfed with a nipple shield ( we had to do it that way from day one since she was born tong tied- this issue has been corrected). we had an issue with weight gain early on, so hence why she's on formula, her LC and i agreed the bottle was the best delivery method for the supplimentation- she'd spit out al the other SNS's ( to the point shed even spit out the breast and not eat), hence the bottle being involved.

I'm under the impression that i haven't ever produced enough milk for her. Im taking supplements to help, but ts something i just roll with.

my concern is that, even with formula, she's seemed un satisfied. she's wanted to eat every hour since 2pm, and hasn't really napped that much (she had a big 5 hour nap prior to all of this that she was still in and out of ). she's had bottle and breast, but i haven't been able to pump like I normally do after a feeding. /\I'm following her cues. I'm assuming it she says she's hungry, she must be.

i am concerned about over eating, she gets 2 and a half ounces of formula and breast milk, and she drinks it all. she's also on the breast on an average of 20 minutes, sometimes longer- I'm feeding based on her visual cues, but she's packing it away, and wanting more!

is this another growth spurt? if it matters, she was born at 38wks 2 days around 6 pounds. last week she just went over her birth weight by an ounce, then weighed in at seven pounds seven ounces at her follow up weight check.

sorry for the novel, i'm just concerned. last time we had tis kind of behavior, it really turned out she wasn't getting enough on just breast milk alone. to see it again with formula involved worries me.

Default Re: eating every hour

Eating every hour is normal as long as diaper output and weight gain are normal. And it sounds like your baby gained over a pound in the last week, which means that weight gain is actually faster than average at this point.

That being said, it sounds like there are some aspects of your nursing relationship that could be going better. First, the shield. Shields are good tools for babies who will not latch without them. But they have drawbacks, namely that they can reduce or slow down milk transfer, making feedings take longer and requiring the baby to feed more often, which can be exhausting for mom and lead her to doubt her supply. So I would love to see you working on nursing without the shield. If you could see the LC again, that would be good.

Second, your baby had a tongue tie and it's great that it was released. But tongue ties require monitoring, because they sometimes reattach. I would see the LC about the baby's tongue, too- make sure it's functioning at 100%!

Third, the pumping sounds like it could be tweaked. Ideally, you want all the baby's supplements to be breastmilk supplements; if you are pumping enough to cover all supplements, your supply is equal to the baby's needs and transitioning to exclusively nursing is going to be easier. So let's talk pumping- how often are you pumping, how much do you pump each time, what sort of pump are you using?

Fourth, supplementing. I'm not clear on how much formula you are using per day- it would be great if you could tell us how many oz of expressed milk baby is getting per day and how many oz of formula. Maybe there's some aspect of the supplemental feedings that can be tweaked. It does sound like your baby may be being overfed if she is nursing for 20 minutes and then getting 2.5 oz of milk and formula; at 4 weeks old most babies are taking 2-4 oz of milk per feeding and 2.5 oz would be a complete feeding all by itself.

Do you happen to have access to a professional baby scale, something which is accurate to the 1/10th of an oz?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Her diaper out put is normal. Weight gain has been a problem for her since she was born.

As for the shield, because of the tongue tie in the hospital, they recommended i use the shield. It was easier for her to latch that way. We've been trying to ween her off of it, but I'll admit, I can't get her to latch with out it, and she can't seem to latch with out it. But we do try, it just ends up with her getting too frustrated.

Her second clip was checked.Its actually great, the LC did check it as did her per. Both say we're good on that front.

As for pumping- I pump after every feeding for 15 minutes per my LC's instructions. I'm using a Symphony Medela double electric pump ( on DME, this'll be going back this week but I have another one on the way to me, an Ameda(sp?) double electric pump). currently I can pump 2 ounces each breast, that's about it, i've never done more than that, I've definitely done less than that, but I honestly don't know if that equates to having a low supply, average or too much. I wish my breasts were see through, but they're not ( lol).

the LC told me to give her bout 45 Mls of either breast milk or formula via bottle while breast feeding. When I was suspicious that my LO just wasn't getting enough to be satisfied, i brought this up to her and that's what we decided on. So she told me to do about 15-20 minutes of breast feeding ( switching breasts during that time if lo ever fell a sleep, or changing a diaper to wake her up) and then give her a bottle. Formula was already okay to supplement with if I just didn't make enough BM. and at the time, I wasn't making enough to even give her 45 mls via bottle. I was also concerned about her weight gain and her being satisfied...formula seemed to help wit h that.

We've been using the formula for a week now. I'm a little afraid to stop, but her behavior went back to not really being satisfied...so I don't know.

I don't have access to a professional baby scale. Hope this makes everything a little clearer.

edit: while I breast feed i also do hand expressions per m y lc
    second edit: both her pediatrician and LC have asked me if i see milk in the shield or if milk dribbles out her mouth at times. sometimes those things happen, but i don't know why they're asking me.
    Last edited by @llli*cutiemark85; October 28th, 2014 at 10:09 AM.

To clarify-- baby is nursing every hour, and you are pumping after every nursing, and getting about two ounces per breast per pump session, though sometimes less? If I am understanding correctly, this would be... 2 x 2 x 24 = 96 ounces of expressed breast milk per day max? Even if it is more like one ounce per breast per pumping, I think this is a lot! I am going to go back to re read and see where I've misunderstood, but if you happen to see this in the meantime-- I guess maybe it would be helpful to have clarification on about how many ounces you are pumping in a 24 hour period?

The average daily consumption for a breastfed baby under six months is 25 ounces, with a range of 19-30 ounces. Now, I know it's not possible to know how much baby is consuming while nursing without a weigh-feed-weigh on reliable scale, but if working toward reducing supplements, your 24-hour pumping output could be compared with this average.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

You didn't misread anything. but I'll be blunt and honest= this is *really* hard for me to understand let alone explain, so i'm doing my best to communicate what my trouble is.

I think starting from the beginning may help you get an idea why we're doing what we're doing:

the TL: DR version of what I'm about to say, is my baby never seemed satisfied when I breast fed her.

When my LO turned about 2 weeks, i noticed that after I fed her, and she dozed off ( after trying to tickle her awake and such) i'd put her down and immediately she'd be hungry and want to feed. It was absolutely devastating. I would not be able to do anything, even sleep ( unless I slept in the chair) and it would happen ever time I laid her down. there were not any periods where she'd just be content like I figured most babies would ( re: you could lay her on her back and she was happy to just look around and coo while you interacted with her.) it felt like something was not right.

In addition to this, we already knew her weight gain was behind where the health professionals wanted her to be. and her well ness check, she'd lost 10 percent of her body weight, so once her frenulum was clipped, we've been on a steady climb up.

When breast feeding, she never 'empties' the breast. as I said, our average is about 20 minutes, she'll fall a sleep. Hard. so I couldn't ever get her up to eat any more, except for when she's put down. Immediately would wake up, crying, and gradually getting fussier until I could get the shield on and she could eat. Rinse repeat this behavior.

At her pediatrician appointment, i breast fed her. we were there for 2 solid hours breast feeding, and it just seemed like she wasn't getting anything at all. She'd fuss, we were gently kicked out of the office because they wanted to close for lunch. I fed her in the car still seemed unsatisfied, but eventually she drifted off to sleep.

that's when I figured, she's not getting enough. I don't know how or why. so when we went home, I tried giving her some formula she took it, was content, so I continued giving i to her with breast milk. We saw the LC the following day after the ped appointment and I told her what happened. We agreed that this was an okay system to continue to do.

I'm still convinced that she's not getting enough when she's at my breast. Both quantity ( drinking her fill) and even quality ( perhaps it's not nutritious enough) to keep her full and satisfied. i was told her eating every hour is actually a bad thing. Her pediatrician suggested ( when we saw him) that she also wasn't getting her fill and she was burning calories just trying to eat, hence why her weight has been an issue.

I'm trying my best to understand what I need to to ensure that she's healthy and thriving. As I said, I pump after every feeding ( I should've said if i can. yesterday[ monday] she was eating every hour so I literally was unable to pump because I didn't have time.) but normally I try to. My usual out put for both breasts now is about 50-60 mls. sometimes though, I'll get between 10-30, on the low side.

I'm taking a supplement- Mother Love, my weight range requires I take 2 capsules 3 times a day. that helps. i stay hydrated. I try not to stress about all of this, but it's hard when you try to put your kid down for a nap and they just won't stay sleeping. ( currently, she didn't even sleep for 10 minutes).

so I kind of, at this point, don't know what else to do. I hope in all of this I answered your questions and hopefully clarified. but also gave you some idea why I'm concerned about her feeding every hour as well.

This sounds like it has been really hard indeed, mama, and I'm so sorry that you and little one have had a rough start with all of this. I'm on my phone right now, with my babe sleeping in the Ergo. I'm going to try to return later tonight to respond fully when I can have the computer and keyboard. Maybe some other mamas will be able to chime in in the meantime. Until then, my thoughts are with you and I'm hoping your little one may decide it's time for a short nap (or long!), so that you're able to just have a moment to breathe, or rest, or whatever it is that could help 'fill your cup'! This is rough!

this is *really* hard for me to understand let alone explain, so i'm doing my best to communicate what my trouble is.
    We understand completely, mama!!! You're dealing not only with the mysterious nature of your baby but also the finest, most technical points of breastfeeding and supplementing. It's not easy to communicate what is going on because it's not easy to understand what is going on.

the TL: DR version of what I'm about to say, is my baby never seemed satisfied when I breast fed her.

When my LO turned about 2 weeks, i noticed that after I fed her, and she dozed off ( after trying to tickle her awake and such) i'd put her down and immediately she'd be hungry and want to feed. It was absolutely devastating. I would not be able to do anything, even sleep ( unless I slept in the chair) and it would happen ever time I laid her down. there were not any periods where she'd just be content like I figured most babies would ( re: you could lay her on her back and she was happy to just look around and coo while you interacted with her.) it felt like something was not right.
    Just FTR, this is all completely normal. New babies often have just 3 behavior modes: eating, fussing/crying, and sleeping. The whole "look around and coo" thing doesn't happen with newborns. They just don't do it because they are not developmentally ready to do it. They can't focus their eyes any farther than the distance from eye to breast, they don't yet have the ability to coo or smile in response to an adult (those are things that tend to show up around a month of age). And they hate being put down, because they know instinctively that being out down means being farther from food, warmth, and protection.

So not acting satisfied? That's normal. Here's what isn't:

her weight gain was behind where the health professionals wanted her to be. and her well ness check, she'd lost 10 percent of her body weight
    My guess is that the tongue tie resulted in both low weight gain, never being satisfied after feedings, and needing to feed frequently. My first baby was like this: she had a lip tie and could not drain the breast well enough to get a large quantity of milk at any one time. It was just too much effort. This meant that she needed to feed really often, because it was better to get a small quantity of milk frequently than a small quantity infrequently.

so once her frenulum was clipped, we've been on a steady climb up.
    This is excellent!

When breast feeding, she never 'empties' the breast. as I said, our average is about 20 minutes, she'll fall a sleep. Hard. so I couldn't ever get her up to eat any more, except for when she's put down. Immediately would wake up, crying, and gradually getting fussier until I could get the shield on and she could eat. Rinse repeat this behavior.
    Have you tried switch nursing? With switch nursing, you offer breast A and allow baby to nurse until she seems to be dozing off. Once she starts acting sleepy and is just sucking lightly and erratically for comfort, you take her off the breast, burp her, change her diaper, and switch her to breast B. You repeat this process as many times as necessary, until she will no longer wake. Switch nursing is good for supply and is often good for sleepy babies who will sink out before taking a full feeding.

But once again, a baby waking up and crying as soon as she is put down is completely normal. It's why slings were invented, so that moms can move around while maintaining physical contact with their babies. Get used to the idea that your crib is now a very expensive laundry hamper...

At her pediatrician appointment, i breast fed her. we were there for 2 solid hours breast feeding, and it just seemed like she wasn't getting anything at all. She'd fuss, we were gently kicked out of the office because they wanted to close for lunch. I fed her in the car still seemed unsatisfied, but eventually she drifted off to sleep.
    Was this with the shield or without? Before the tongue tie was clipped, or after?

that's when I figured, she's not getting enough. I don't know how or why. so when we went home, I tried giving her some formula she took it, was content, so I continued giving i to her with breast milk. We saw the LC the following day after the ped appointment and I told her what happened. We agreed that this was an okay system to continue to do.
    Did the LC ever do a weigh-feed-weigh measurement on the baby? Because newborns tend to be rarely if ever content, it's hard to judge intake at the breast. Weighing the baby, then feeding the baby, and then weighing again on a very precise digital scale can allow you to gain a better idea of whether or not the baby is transferring sufficient milk when nursing. I would love to have you rent a professional scale so that you could figure out whether or not this

I'm still convinced that she's not getting enough when she's at my breast.
    is actually true.

Both quantity ( drinking her fill) and even quality ( perhaps it's not nutritious enough)
    Worry about quantity, not quality. When it comes to weight gain, what really matters is quantity of milk. Number of oz. Milk quality does not vary much from mother to mother, and even malnourished mothers are capable of producing high-quality milk.

i was told her eating every hour is actually a bad thing. Her pediatrician suggested ( when we saw him) that she also wasn't getting her fill and she was burning calories just trying to eat, hence why her weight has been an issue.
    Nope, nope, nope. Burning too many calories trying to eat is a problem for premature babies, not healthy full-term ones. Eating every hour is normal- unless the baby is having trouble transferring milk, and THAT is, I think, the problem you're having.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://sarahockwell-smith.com/2012/1...-in-your-arms/

Sorry you're having such a rough time mama! It sounds like you're on the right tract though. I'm curious - when you say she falls asleep hard, does that mean she's unlatched herself or is she just sucking lightly? My youngest can be totally knocked out to the point where I could easily unlatch him but still suckling for ten or twenty minutes. In that extra time he can stimulate two or three more let downs, without actively trying. Also, what happens if you just stay holding her? Will she relatch during her nap? My youngest most often naps in his ring sling. He stays close and calm while I can still move around. Do you have a baby wearing international group near you? I think you're falling into our society's booby trap of not knowing what new babies really act like and how much temperament affects sleep. I've been that new mom whose baby refused to sleep contentedly alone while everyone else's baby seemed to be agreeable robots, happy to lay on any flat surface and promptly fall asleep. YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG! This is entirely normal infant behavior.
    Am I reading everything right - supplementation began after the tongue tie AND after weight was being gained? Or weight was gained after bm bottles started, then formula was introduced?

Gosh, I wish I knew how to do some of the short cuts on this board...

Mommal:

I've just started switch nursing her. Like...part of last night and today. Seems to keep her awake long enough ( while changing diapers and such, or burping) so if she's actually wanting more, she'll get more. but she does fall back to sleep on the other breast. As far as her falling a sleep, she'll unlatch herself by pulling away, or she'll let the nipple fall out of her mouth. I've never had to detach her myself. She has suckled while ( i'm assuming she's a sleep) sleeping. it's like little tickles is the best way to describe it, and from there if she wakes herself up enough, she'll go back to eating.

I hope that all made sense. We *just* got a carrier, though I considered a sling... personally, I don't care of the bassinet/crib just becomes an expensive hamper during the day...we don't really have a co sleeper so at night I'd like her to use it *lol* and she seems to for the most part, at night.

The day I fed her for 2 solid hours was with the shield and this was after the tongue was clipped. Again, I can't really get her to latch on with out it, and of the times she does, that's when I have to break the latch because we didn't latch properly ( ouch.) My breasts that day also felt very pillow-y soft, like nothing was in them. I could express a little milk, so I was pretty convinced my milk just disappeared.

At our LC appointments, she's weighed before we start, and then after some feeding. She does gain when she's had something. I basically told my LC, since I saw her the following day after the pediatrician appointment what happened, and we talked at length about what our game plan should be. I'll note that when she weighs her, she only seems to gain a little bit ( maybe an ounce? it never seems like much to me when I watch), but the LC notes it then gives her back to me to feed some more before a second weigh.

unless the scale is covered by our insurance ( i can check) i probably won't be able to rent one. the carrier I mentioned that we just got was from a second hand store, and we got it very cheap ( re: free because she felt generous- not knocking that at all).

LO was small when she was born ( six pounds 12 ounces) and honestly, still is on the small side. She was born full term though, so I'm not sure why he'd say that then if that's a issue for premies...

Maybe that is the problem? I don't know how to tell. I know that, I'd love to ween her off the nipple shield, because it's also a pain to deal with trying to feed her. ( it'll get knocked off if the suction isn't right, and it takes too long to get on for her liking.) So again, we're trying, she just doesn't seem to recognize ( of the times we can't get it) that the nipple is in her mouth.

Zaynethepain:

When I say she falls a sleep hard, she's out. Like I said above, she'll unlatch herself by pulling away, or the nipple will just fall out of her mouth.

I went into motherhood with no real expectations on how babies should act, but that doesn't mean I haven't heard it all from family, other mom's or friends to make me think otherwise too...

On supplementation:
    When she was born she had the tongue tie. they clipped it there, but we had to get it done again- apparently it was thicker than they thought. We didn't get this done until she was 2 weeks. So we had continued to supplement to help her gain her weight back up. After the final clip, she started a steady weight gain, even though it was small. We saw her Pediatrician on the 20th and he red flagged her weight gain still. Since she had dipped into the 10% loss after we brought her home when she was born, it was still a concern for him.

This was also the same day I fed her for 2 solid hours and felt like nothing was really gained by her. She had formula ( Similac) before as part of the supplementation we needed to do at home because of the tongue tie, but she hated it, a lot. It was rough to get her to take it, or even keep it in her mouth ( and at the time we had a syringe and feeding tube SNS). So we stopped giving it to her and just gave her the pumped breast milk, which she liked better. On the day I saw the pediatrician, I re introduced formula to her, which she took with out trouble. So I have her a formula, and pumped milk for the whole week before her weigh in this past monday, after talking to her LC the next day about it.

Again, I hope that makes sense.

Also, Ladies, thank you so much for sharing what you know , your thoughts and advice. I'm concerned, but you guys are shedding so much light to this mystery. I'm also glad you guys are so understanding. it helps to be able to reach out to folks who have an idea what you're trying to say, and not sound like a Charlie Brown adult when you talk to them.