So I'm gonna give you guys a little bit of history to help you understand where I am coming from. Before I gave birth to my first daughter I had been showing a lot of signs for developing what's called Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. After a great deal of debate, my dh and I decided to go through with a pregnancy. It was a hard pregnancy (I suffered from Sever Hyperemises gravadaum) but dd1 arrived safe and sounds. I nursed her till she was almost 3 and she'd decided to no longer nurse. After that pregnancy all of my problems went away and we assumed the Mixed Connective Tissue Disease was in remision. We decided to have another child after a great deal of research on how to manage some of the problems I had with my first pregnancy. Unfortuantly my Mixed Connective Tissue disorder came out of remission with this pregnancy.
I started developing simptoms about 4 months after delivery and my Dr recommended I quite nursing in order to take some medicine. This medicine is not safe while pregnant (I checked with mother risk here in Canada). I discussed this with my Dr and instead of heading his advice I made some drastic changes to my diet to deal with my Microscopic Colitis instead of taking the medicine. Nursing was just too important for me. So far things had been going well. However, I have had more sypmtoms appear within the last month and the changes I had made are no longer working to control my existing symptoms. My Dr. has again suggested that I wean in order to take the medicine to help me.
However, I am having a great deal of problems with this. When I weaned dd1 she was old enough to understand she was getting too big for it. and she was able to come up with other ideas in order to help her go to sleep. Dd2 is only 15 months old. She is too old to accept a substitue for sucking ( she doesn't use a soother and I don't want to introduce one) and she's too young to understand why she can't have it anymore. She doens't nurse during the day. It's only at nap/bedtime and during the night. We co-sleep so i don't really wake up to nurse her which is a bonus...however a challenge while weaning and she's too young to move into her big girl bedroom that's waiting for her (a twin matress). I use Attachment Parenting as the baises for my parenting style and if given a choice I would continue to nurse. Unfortunatly, I'm beginning to feel more and more that my body is making the choice for me and that I'm gonna soon seriously have to soon wean her. I would appreciate any suggestions you gals have on how i can go about this that is not going to cause to much distress to dd2. Thank you and sorry for the long post.