Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cephalexin and breastfeeding

Default Cephalexin and breastfeeding

Hi,

Is it ok to take the antibiotic, cephalexin, while breastfeeding? I need to take it to help clear up an infected cyst (not in my breast). I know there is a website (I have seen mentioned on the forum) where I can find this out. Can anyone direct me to it?

Also, should I ramp up taking probiotics, in the form of yogurt, so there less chance of my baby and I getting thrush? Or do I need some probiotic capsules as well?

This is the first medication I have had to take since after two weeks post-partum, so I am a bit weary.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Cephalexin and breastfeeding

I've taken cephalexin while nursing and was told that it was safe. The Infant Risk center can give you a definitive answer: http://www.infantrisk.com/

Always a good idea to ramp up the probiotics while taking antibiotics. Yogurt may be enough, but why not err on the side of caution and take some capsules as well?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know several moms that were prescribed cephalexin to treat mastitis. It should be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I've taken cephalexin while nursing and was told that it was safe. The Infant Risk center can give you a definitive answer: http://www.infantrisk.com/

Always a good idea to ramp up the probiotics while taking antibiotics. Yogurt may be enough, but why not err on the side of caution and take some capsules as well?
    Especially with the probiotics. I've been prescribed cephalexin while both pregnant and nursing, so safety should be good. It's a strong abx, though so I'd definitely focus on yogurt/probiotic intake - I usually even up baby's probiotic intake because I noticed with cephalexin that DD2 would get diaper rash out of nowhere. Not every baby will react the same, but there's no harm in doing it as a preventative.

Hale rates cephalexin as an L1 (safest) and says that "Only minimal concentrations are secreted into human milk." He does mention one caveat when probenecid is taken along with cephalexin:

In another case report of a mother taking probenecid along with cephalexin to prolong the half-life of the cephalexin, the baby developed severe diarrhea. The average milk concentration of probenecid and cephalexin was 964 µg/L and 0.745 µg/L, respectively. This corresponds to a relative infant dose of 0.7% for probenecid and 0.5% for cephalexin. The authors concluded that when using this combination of drugs in breast feeding women, clinicians should expect the possibility of adverse GI effects in the infant.[3] Safe in breastfeeding. Watch infant for diarrhea.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--