Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discouraged after gastro spec. visit

Default Re: Discouraged after gastro spec. visit

Using short blocks does help baby get more fatty milk because it comes off the walls of the ducts faster. So try it and see if it helps,a and watch your supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

From what I read, it said that with fast let down the baby can get to much foremilk and not enough hindmilk and that could lead to slow weight gain.
    I doubt this happens much. Really, all milk has SOME fat in it and helps a baby grow, and the switch form the lower fat foremilk to the high fat hindmilk happens gradually throughout the feeding. What leads to slow weight gain in the vast majority of the cases is baby not getting enough milk overall, or, more rarely, an underlying health issue that has nothing to do with breastfeeding. Have you figured out for sure that babies gain is really slow?

You could have forceful letdown without oversupply. It happens. Just do the many things you can to help baby handle the flow, without block feeding, those will not hurt your supply. I agree with mommal, unless you are positive you have oversupply, which would usually lead to unusually fast weight gain, block feeding is not a good idea.** Most important-nurse very frequently. If you nurse very frequently, and if baby is gaining OK, it would be OK for baby to only nurse on one side at a time, which is often enough to calm forceful letdown. Nursing position changes help a lot too.

Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance sounds scary, and it does SOMETIMES cause gastrointestinal discomfort for baby. But is not in any way dangerous from a health standpoint. All your milk is good for your baby.

Poops can be in many colors & consistencies, and it is usually little to worry about.

**edit OK I see Susan suggests to try short blocks. I think Susan has more expertise & knowledge in this area than I do. But I guess I would ask HOW short and again, suggest that nursing FREQUNECY should not go down at all. I think some moms confuse block nursing with decreasing nursing frequency.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 3rd, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Yes. The frequency should actually go up, but you don't switch sides unless baby is still hungry. Basically, start each feeding with the one you ended on last, to a point, and this helps get a little more fat into a slow-gaining baby. Make sense?

I'm pretty sure this is how my babies, the ones I nursed, were all like 20+ lbs at 4 months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Up until she was a month, she nursed all t he time. It was like she lived on my boob. Than after about a month she didnt eat as often, she normally eats about every 2-3 hours. I dont let her go any longer than that, even if i have to wake her up. But she's had really bad gas since she was born and has never pooped daily. They actually had to help her poop out the meconium at the hospital. I do massage her belly and do the bicycle thing with her, but it doesnt seem to work. I was so excited yesterday that she didnt have and bad gas cramps and wasnt screaming. Thought the block feeding and pumping was going to be the thing that helped her. *sigh* Hopefully if i keep up with the reclined feedings and try and get her to eat more often than every 2-3 hours, it will help. Oh also i have been letting her feed from only one breast per feeding.

"oh also i have been letting her feed from only one breast per feeding"
    that was before i started the block feeding a few days ago. I had been alternating breasts, but i was sitting straight up and had her in the cradle position.
    Last edited by @llli*mcnada.cal; July 3rd, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: wanted to clarify

My second baby never pooped daily. He went like 10-14 days between poops. He was fine. It's normal for BF babies.

If it is working, don't worry about it. Follow your instincts. And TBH, I nursed one breast, started each feeding on the side I ended with and nursed on demand, and my babies did really well with my OALD and OS I personally think what you are doing is going to work and work well based on my experience.
    Susan

Thank you all so much for all the info, it is very appreciated. This is my first child and of course first time breastfeeding. No one in my family or friends breastfed so any thing you ladies suggest is awesome. Since i have gotten so much info, let me see if this is what yall recommend:

1. Baby not pooping everday is ok
    2. Babies poop being orange and green is ok.
    3. I should breastfeed in reclined position.
    4. Breastfeed often
    5. Start her on the breast she fed from on last feeding and switch her over to other breast
    6. Dont pump

Have I missed anything?

That's what I would do. Give it a little time, but it should work. Babies are able to cope with a fast letdown much better as they get bigger. This won't last forever.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I'd add the following:
    7. See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC
    8. Frequent weight checks to make sure baby is continuing to gain weight
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"