Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polyvitamin Drops?

Default Polyvitamin Drops?

So, my son's pediatrician prescribed him some polyvitamin drops, with the reasoning that "breastmilk doesn't have the DHA and RHA that some formulas have, so you have to supplement some of the vitamins".

I don't quite understand this.. but also, he's started spitting up the vitamins. I've tried giving them on an empty stomach, a half-full stomach, a completely full stomach. He won't really keep them down.

Are they imperative?

I mean, before you say "The doctor prescribed them, so they're obviously meant to be taken", they prescribe these drops to all breastfed babies.

Noting here that he's growing just fine without all the extra crap. (1 oz/day weight gain! woo hoo!)
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Default Re: Polyvitamin Drops?

DHA and other fatty acids are added to formulas to make them more similar to breast milk. If you are concerned, then you can take a DHA supplement yourself (it is a common component in many prenatal vitamins these days) or eat more low mercury, low PCB fish. The only nutrient that doesn't pass well through breast milk is vitamin D. Either make sure your baby gets adequate sun exposure or give a single drop vitamin D supplement (Carlson D drops are great - just put a drop on your nipple and nurse). We're outside enough with skin exposed in the summer so I don't supplement; I do supplement in the winter because we are pretty bundled up. Only vitamin D, though.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only vitamins your baby MAY Need is Vitamin D. This is per the AAP! http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...29/3/e827.full

This is because many of us in hte entire population do not get enough vitamin D from the sun due to lifestyle changes. So babies are being born with low vit D.
    If you want to give your baby Vit. D, you can get the daily does in a single drop from some brands.

Good grief. Sometimes I just feel like giving up.

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*paytek View Post
    I mean, before you say "The doctor prescribed them, so they're obviously meant to be taken", they prescribe these drops to all breastfed babies.
    They are NOT prescribed for all breast fed babies. I was told to only give a vitamin D supplement. Our pediatrician specifically stated that ALL other essential nutrients are available in breast milk.

Wow, that's a new one- and a bad one.

with the PPs. Vitamin D is the only one that is generally recommended for breastfed babies, and it's debatable whether or not light-skinned babies even need it, particularly during the summer, provided they get some sun exposure on a routine basis. (Vitamin D is produced in the skin; darker-skinned people require proportionally more sun exposure to make Vitamin D because the skin pigment melanin reduces Vitamin D production, while also protecting them from sunburn.)

The only other supplement your baby could conceivably need would be iron. Breastmilk generally contains plenty of iron, but in cases where mom is iron-deficient or baby was premature, anemia can be a problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The only other supplement your baby could conceivably need would be iron. Breastmilk generally contains plenty of iron, but in cases where mom is iron-deficient or baby was premature, anemia can be a problem.
    This is true. However, I definitely would not give an iron supplement unless a blood test revealed low iron. Iron supplements are a huge pain (speaking from personal experience), too much iron can be dangerous, and iron deficiency is rare, generally only occurring under very specific circumstances as mommal mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    DHA and other fatty acids are added to formulas to make them more similar to breast milk. If you are concerned, then you can take a DHA supplement yourself (it is a common component in many prenatal vitamins these days) .
    If you don't take a prenatal vitmain with DHA in it does your baby still get it through your breastmilk or no?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Angie0712 View Post
    If you don't take a prenatal vitmain with DHA in it does your baby still get it through your breastmilk or no?
    Yes, as long as you are eating relatively well. DHA is most abundant in fish (wild Alaskan salmon is one of the healthiest fish for this), but is also present in some nuts, grains, leafy greens, and other foods.

On post the pediatricians give it to all breastfed babies.
    I'll note here that this is the same pediatrician that said he needed to be 9 lb in 4 days, and to forcefeed him the extra .5 oz at every feeding so he'd be eating like 26-28 oz a day.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Did your pediatrician get his medical degree online?