Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S.O.S. ((on the verge of total meltdown))

Default Re: S.O.S. ((on the verge of total meltdown))

Nope you can still nurse with inverted nipples in most cases. Here is a good link to start

http://www.llli.org/faq/flat.html
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Many women with inverted nipples do breastfeed successfully! It can be a challenge at first, but it not something that automatically means you can't breastfeed (on the contrary, I think studies show that most women can overcome it). I'm not the expert on that, but lots of ladies on here have been there, done that. Hopefully you'll get some encouraging words and advice very soon!

Can you rent a hospital grade pump? I know it's not cheap, but neither is formula. It's worth the investment! Simply put, anything OTHER than a hospital grade pump is just NOT sufficient if you are exclusively pumping for your baby in these early days. Even high quality double sided non-hospital grade pumps are really only good enough for women who have already established a milk supply and just need to pump at work or whatever. They won't work in your situation. However, renting a hospital grade pump, hopefully for a limited amount of time, because you're going to get that baby on the breast soon I hope!, is a cost-effective way to get your hands on a much better pump. I'd start making some calls about that right away. In my area, you can rent them from hospitals or from certain local stores that stock breast pumps. Start calling around! Do you have a local LLL group? I'd call your local leader right away too - she might know how to hook you up with an affordable pump.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

you can absolutely bf with inverted nipples mama.

i like the link jenna posted

here is an additional link

some moms will use a pump to pul the nipple out then latch the baby on, there are other tips on the LLL link too.

just call an IBCLC

if you felt engorgement i would say your milk "came in"
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; June 29th, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

I had large inverted nipples and a preemie as my first little nursling... I used this Latch Assist instead of a pump before each session (it was a heck of a lot easier to set up but did the same job) and then pumped after each session to keep supply from tanking while we got the hang of it. It took a long time. It was frustrating. But it happened. And she nursed for almost two years until she self-weaned when I was pregnant.

It CAN be done. You CAN do this.

The latch assist helped a lot, and I could even use it quickly if during the session she was having trouble maintaining latch. And I'm not sure if it's common, but my nipples actually reached a point where they were no longer inverted and I didn't have to use anything anymore. They are still more flat than "average" (I think) but it wasn't like at the beginning. At some point they took form and stayed there. I hope that's encouraging.

Many moms can nurse with inverted nipples. Also, I have talked to several moms over the years who were told they had inverted nipples by someone who had no idea what they were talking about and that has included doctors.

Try laid back positioning http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and www.biologicalnurturing.com and try the ideas here for encouraging baby to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Also latch techniques: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar04p3.html

If baby truly cannot latch, or until baby can, it is very important to use a hospital grade pump if at all possible-which are always rented by moms, not purchased, so while they are not cheap even to rent, they are certainly much cheaper to rent for a month or two than purchasing a double sided electric would be, at least around my area. (California, USA)

Also if you are on WIC (in the US) or some other public assistance, find out if getting a hosp grade pump is an option. And I mean, keep asking, and make sure you are talking to someone who would really know, with govt programs the first person you talk to may not be well informed.

In my area one of the county Breastfeeding Coalitions lends moms hosp. grade pumps.

Meanwhile, make sure the pump you have is on excellent working order, that the flanges are the right size, and add hand expression or breast compressions into the mix.

I had inverted nipples and breastfed my oldest just fine

Yes, EPing stinks. I have been doing it for almost 18 months now. It's HARD. It is a time sink. I was so frustrated at the beginning because it was like I pumped, fed my special needs baby (he could not nurse), and when he was done, repeat. A few things:
    Stick your set up in the fridge between sessions. I reused it several times that way. Don't wash it between sessions.
    Try cluster pumping in the evenings.
    Make sure you get a hospital grade pump

But don't plan to EP. Plan to breastfeed.

This means a lot of things go on the back burner. If you can get baby nursing, most moms find life returns to some semblance of normal around 6 weeks. I will flat out say if you EP, it won't be normal for months and months. In fact, I did not find life was normal until I dropped to twice a day after 12 months. Before that, I had to arrange my life around being able to pump. I worried about how much milk I had constantly. We didn't go places because I had to pump and I have 4 kids...I can car pump, but they didn't like sitting in the car waiting on me! EPing is not what it is made out to be, so the struggle to get that baby to the breast will be worth it in the end.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had flat nipples and had a rough start but we got there. /i had been told to use a nipple shield and do streching exercises around my nipples to try and breakup the tendons but i dont know if that was good advice. i did get off the shield and my nipples are no longer flat. keep trying things until you find something that helps. I think if your LC said that it wasnt possible see a different one and get a good pump its worth the investment

sorry for typos im one handing it with my left
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!