Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few questions...

Default A few questions...

I have yet to use any of my frozen stash and have a few questions about it:

1.) I read a few different things on how long to store milk in a side by side freezer. Some places say 3 months is the limit others say 6 months is fine. Has anyone gone 6 months without a problem?

2.) What's the best way to pour defrosted milk out of a Lansinoh bag. I don't see a spout and I don't want to make a huge mess!

3.) The first two bags I froze are from my last day of taking Diflucan for thrush. I really don't think I had thrush anymore at that point, but I was finishing out the medicine. What do you guys think... should I toss these two bags or use them? I hate to waste milk, but I'd hate to have thrush even more so I'm leaning towards tossing.

Thanks!

Default Re: A few questions...

1. It's best to use frozen milk 3-4 months from the time of freezing. The sooner you use it, the better. Having said that, I've used frozen milk up to 6 months old because I had store way too much.

I would just smell and taste it to make sure that it is good.

2. My mother, husband, and I just poured the milk out of the corner of the bag, and it never made a mess.

3. I've never had thrush so I'm not the best person to answer this, but I would probably toss it just to be safe, particularly if you have a pretty substantial stash. But again, others here will probably have more informed input than me on this one.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I've gone four months before... just taste/smell it after thawing to make sure it's fine, and use it within 24 hours of thawing it out.

On the bags - it's very easy to pour out the side of the bag - it doesn't look like a spout but it acts like one and you should be able to pour very neatly and accurately. Try it with some water if you want practice

From what I've read, the diflucan that would get into the milk is less than the dose that might be prescribed to a baby for oral thrush, so it probably wouldn't be harmful. But if you have a good supply and it's not essential for the stash that you have that milk, I'd probably toss it. That's more a personal call, I think, than anything to which there is a "right answer"

I fold the corners of the zip lock part together and pour.

I am using milk stored in a deep freeze for over a year with no ill effects.

If you would have nursed, I'd use it myself.

ETA: I donated quite a lot of milk that I am sure I had thrush when I pumped it -- I had all the signs of thrush, but my doc wouldn't treat me because I was pumping -- and the mom and baby I gave it to never got thrush. It is an opportunitic infection to sme extent, and obviously things weren't right on their end to get infected. so I dunno. I'd use it myself.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the responses. Good to know milk can go longer than suggested when freezing without any problems. My frozen stash isn't quite that old yet, but I just wanted to plan ahead and wanted to get the time limit straight.
    It was definitely easier to pour the milk out of the bag than it looked like it would be. I didn't make a mess and neither did my husband.
    I ended up tossing the first couple of bags. It was hard watching it go down the drain, but I was worried about bringing the thrush back. I don't want to experience that pain again! I have plenty in there too, so 6oz wasn't too bad of a loss.

The variation about freezer storage time is because of a difference in how often the freezer is opened. If you open your freezer muliple times a day then the temperature might not stay as low as it should all the time. If you only get in there once or twice a week, then that is a different story. When we used our refrigerator freezer I never kept milk more than 4 months, but if I had a stand alone freezer it would have been longer.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.