Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bottle refusal... not in the way youd think.

Exclamation bottle refusal... not in the way youd think.

My little guy is 7.5 mos. He's been eating solids for a while now. He's eating 3 solid meals a day. Per dr order. I nurse him before his meals when I am home, and before naps as well as on demand. However, I work 40 hours and in the past 2 or so weeks he has been refusing bottles from care givers. We have tried everything! Switching his meal times around and changing bottle times around. They might get him to drink an ounce before he pushes it away. My mother had to put cold breast milk in a plastic cup the other day to get him to drink it. His dr doesn't seem worried since he nurses at least 4 times in a 24 hour period on days I work. She said he only needs 16 to 28 oz in 24 hours and that he probably gets that in those 4 times. He has a good long nursing session before bed, 1 in the middle of the night and 1 when he wakes up or before I leave for work and then ill nurse him when I get home. He also gets some milk mixed in his cereal. Does all this sound normal? Is he really getting enough?

Default Re: bottle refusal... not in the way youd think.

If your mom could get him to take it from a cup, could his other caregivers do the same thing?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

My second never took to a bottle. I went back to work at 8 months, and she was home with DH. She was big into the solids at that age also and nursed a lot while I was home to make up for it, so I never ended up pumping for her at all. Four times a day seems a little light for that age, but some babies just are really efficient nursers. If he's still gaining weight fine, etc., I'd just make sure to try to get a little extra in with the meals as you can (like you've been doing) and not worry about it too much.

DS2 didn't like to take a bottle when he was a newborn and eventually did take one. Then we moved cross-country and he wouldn't take a bottle when I was around and I wasn't working, so when we finally got moved in and settled he wouldn't take a bottle again. He was about 7 months old. I pumped for a little while, but I stopped because he wouldn't take it. I did go home for lunch, and he would nurse then, but he wouldn't really eat solids. He nursed in the evening and at night and he was doing just fine with that and had good weight gain at that time. It sounds like you don't have much to worry about, I wouldn't stress about him taking a bottle.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Check your milk for lipase enzyme issues if you have not already. Otherwise, why not let him have your expressed milk in a sippy? Are you afraid to do that due to weight gain issues? I assume that is why doctor ordered 3 solid meals a day?

I had my other caregiver try that today. He refused. He started on a bottle when i went back to work at 6 weeks and has done fine with it up until a few weeks ago. So its not the bottle itself it seems to be the pumped milk he's refusing. I think it is a lipase issue. If it is what do I do? Today while I was at work for 9 hours he drank no milk at all. He had about 3 oz mixed with his food and that's it.

*if it is lipase scalding is not an option since I work 9 and 10 hour shifts. Some of my frozen milk is about a month old. Will it make a difference if its a lipase issue if its newer frozen milk? Does the taste worsen the older it is?

You can scald at work using a bottle warmer. I've never done it, but a good friend does and says it's really easy.

There is a whole thread here on scalding milk, including ino on using a bottle warmer.

Scalding is a pain, but is the only way to deal with lipase that I know.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

From everything I have read about lipase, I don't think scalding will work seeing as the enzyme starts to break down the fat upon cooling of the milk, and seeing as how I am pumping and storing it in a cooler while I am at work for 8 hours a day, I don't think that will help. Has anyone ever heard of anything about something in our diet contributing to excess lipase activity? It seems like it has only become a problem within the past few weeks, as he has been bottle fed frozen milk since he was 6 weeks old and has never refused. And my milk only goes as far back as May in the freezer. Could it be something I am eating? There is a frustrating lack of information on this issue. I want to make sure he is getting what he needs during the day.

I should add a PS. We did a little experiment which seems to help a little. Instead of giving him the oldest milk in the freezer, I put fresh pumped milk right into the fridge, and used a frozen bag that was only a day old and the problem didn't seem quite as bad. But he is still only drinking about 3 oz during the day when I am not home, as well as getting 2 oz mixed in with his cereal. Then I have my care givers hold off on feeding him supper until I get home so he can get a good long nursing session in. And he gets a good long session before bed, once during the night and then before I leave for work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bonzaii View Post
    From everything I have read about lipase, I don't think scalding will work seeing as the enzyme starts to break down the fat upon cooling of the milk, and seeing as how I am pumping and storing it in a cooler while I am at work for 8 hours a day, I don't think that will help.
    It depends on how long it takes for the lipase to become active in your milk. This varies from person to person. To find out how long your milk is good (the longest you can wait before scalding), put a bottle of freshly expressed milk in the refrigerator and smell/taste it every two hours until it starts to smell/taste off. If your milk turns in less time than you would have from your first pump and the time you get home, then you can use a bottle warmer to scald your milk at work. Scalding always works to inactivate the lipase, but it needs to be done before your milk starts to turn.

Has anyone ever heard of anything about something in our diet contributing to excess lipase activity? It seems like it has only become a problem within the past few weeks, as he has been bottle fed frozen milk since he was 6 weeks old and has never refused. And my milk only goes as far back as May in the freezer. Could it be something I am eating? There is a frustrating lack of information on this issue. I want to make sure he is getting what he needs during the day.
    Here is some information on lipase, scalding, and dietary causes for oxidation (this is different from lipase).

There is not much information on diet and lipase, and I don't think there is much that there is much that you can do diet-wise. However, there are a couple of things you can try mentioned in this thread.

Honestly, scalding is more likely to work than changing your diet. Scalding works for all women as long as it is done before the milk starts to turn. If there was a dietary change that worked for everyone, then you would probably hear about it pretty frequently. You can try some of the things listed in the links above, but be prepared for the possibility that you may have no choice but to scald your milk.

Is your baby drinking the unfrozen milk consistently? If so, you may be able to just leave milk that you pump the day before. I had 48 hour before lipase began to turn my milk, so I only needed to scald the milk I pumped on Fridays. Have you tried giving freshly expressed milk (not from work, pump and immediately offer the milk) in a bottle to make sure that the issue is not the bottle?
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).