Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stimulation and supply

Default stimulation and supply

I need advice. I am meeting with a consultant monday for help BUT i need advice on how to keep my milk supply up and stimulation up until then. I do not want to dry up and miss this chance because I didnt know what I was doing! BTW the baby is a week old, bottle fed (because i cannot breast feed, she doesnt latch) so i am pumping every two hours. my milk supply is 2 ounces in 24 hours if im lucky and well its decreasing every day.

Default Re: stimulation and supply

What pump are you using?

You need a hospital grade pump if you are going to EP. You also need to make sure that the breast shields fit correctly. Improperly sized shields have a huge impact on what you will be able to pump. Use breast compressions and hand expression to maximize your output. You may need to pump longer if you are not getting a letdown. Try to relax; I would put on a movie when I pumped.

Have you tried at all to get your baby to latch? A nursing baby will keep your supply up far better than any pump. You got some really good info on nursing with inverted nipples in your previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Nope you can still nurse with inverted nipples in most cases. Here is a good link to start

http://www.llli.org/faq/flat.html
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    you can absolutely bf with inverted nipples mama.

i like the link jenna posted

here is an additional link

some moms will use a pump to pul the nipple out then latch the baby on, there are other tips on the LLL link too.

just call an IBCLC

if you felt engorgement i would say your milk "came in"
    It's worth at least giving these things a shot if you haven't already tried.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Are you supplementing at all? Is baby satisfied with that amount? I would get a good pump, hospital grade if possible, and continue to pump every 2 hours. Be sure the horns fit well and you are using the most suction you can. Spend lots of time with the baby naked on your bare chest. Let her suckle as much as possible, even if she won't latch. Don't make it about food, be sure she's not starving and screaming. Let her try and find your breast. Worst case the bonding with your baby will help increase your supply. And don't be discourage. It is by no means a hopeless cause. It took my daughter 2 months to latch and my son 3 weeks. For some babies it just takes a bit more work but it is totally worth the extra effort in the long run. Hang in there mama.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

The link posted in this thread...

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...Pump-More-Milk

...has excellent information on pumping more milk.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/R...tolatchpdf.pdf

Because I HATE to see a mom EP. I'm sitting here pumping when I'd much rather be sleeping an extra hour before I have to go to work

Meanwhile, pump for a total of 120 minutes in 24 hours, broken into 10-12 sessions. Make sure you have a hospital grade pump. Make sure the horns fit. Do compressions.

But my baby was 9 days old before I had any extra to freeze. At a week, I was meeting his needs with 2 oz every 2 hours.

I nursed my oldest for 2 years after someone told me I never could because I had inverted nipples
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!