Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk allergy...do I keep nursing?

Default Milk allergy...do I keep nursing?

Mommy help needed!

I went back to work when my DS was 4 months old. Unfortunately for my job I frequently need to travel. I had been banking milk starting when he was 3 months old. We hadn't used any because I was always available to nurse him, but during my first business trip the sitter couldn't find any milk that wasn't grainy. After she had tried 10 different bags of milk, she gave him the bottled formula that was available. **Please note that I had told her she could give it to him. We had given him a little formula after the 7 PM nursing session for the first 2 months.

As you are probably expecting, he had a reaction and ended up in the emergency room. The ER doctor told my husband that he wouldn't release the baby unless he could find viable breast milk or until I was able to come home. The sitter went back to the house and defrosted almost everything. She found that anything over a month was freezer burned and anything under a month was acceptable. A couple of weeks later we finally got in for allergy testing and DS tested positive for milk and casein allergies. Sorry for the long story.

Here's my question - I need to go to a dairy-free diet. It's been a week and I know it takes up to a month, but do I keep nursing him? He's very gassy and has liquidy green poops. He's otherwise the sweetest, happiest, drooliest thing you have ever seen. He's 5.5 months old, 27 inches and almost 21 pounds, so he's a chubby little dear. I want to nurse him, but I don't want him to suffer. What do I do?

I nursed his sister until she was 2.5 years old and only stopped because I was pregnant and my milk production dropped to nothing.

What do I do?

Default Re: Milk allergy...do I keep nursing?

Yes, in general, even with a milk protein allergy, you keep nursing. That is the recommendation of the Academy of Breastfeeding medicine. See this protocol, http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf particularly the section "Recommendations." Now I have never heard of such an extreme reaction to dairy before, but I assume this is still relevant...
    Gosh that must have been scary for you and your sitter! I was actually NOT expecting that extreme a reaction!

Keep nursing. If baby is happy, healthy, and growing, you can nurse through the allergies. Green poop and gas aren't the worst things that a baby can experience, and aren't really health concerns in and of themselves.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the information. The green poop and gas are a sign that he's reacting to the dairy in my diet. I'm worried that at some point this incidental exposure will lead to another anaphylactic reaction. He didn't stop breathing had a horrible rash with hives.

Nevertheless, if the only sign of allergy is green poop and gas, maybe the occasional hive breakout, it's not such a big deal. This article on the development of food allergies may be of interest to you: http://www.americanscientist.org/iss...od-allergies/1

Basically, it explains how breastmilk helps to coach the immune system to recognize the difference between harmful substances and benign ones.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"