Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heartbroken with little hope of continuing

Default Re: heartbroken with little hope of continuing

Is baby always a poor nurser on the breasts, even if you try breast compressions, or even with a lactation aid? Are you saying baby also falls asleep when bottle fed and takes little from the bottle? How much weight did baby lose and how much exactly is baby pooping? The weight gain as you describe it is certainly a red flag baby is perhaps not getting enough. Is it difficult to get baby to take the breast, or will he take it fine but just not nurse vigorously? I would suggest nursing baby more if you can, and maybe feeding baby more often overall. If using the sns is not working, you can supplement with a bottle and allow baby to "finish at the breast."

Do babies ignore food if they are still hungry or fall asleep at the breast constantly if they need more food? I try to give him more formula but he always falls asleep during feedings or stops eating. I hope this means he is getting enough food.
    I would not suggest measuring that baby is getting enough by baby behavior. While falling asleep at the breast or when eating is generally normal, a baby who is not getting enough may also seem very sleepy, fall asleep quickly at the breast or bottle and not cue enough. How many times a day is baby cueing & nursing or feeding? It should be very, very frequent, no matter how baby is fed, a minimum of 10-12 times a 24 hour day at this age. You also may want to pump 10 times a day or, if that is more than you can handle, as much as you can if baby is nursing that poorly. When exclusively breastfeeding, the most accurate way to measure if baby is getting enough is weight gain and output-poops specifically-at least 3-4 poops the size of a US quarter or larger per day. I do not know how formula would change this as far as output goes, you can talk to your LC about that. Please make sure weight checks are always being done accurately and carefully, on the same scale, with baby naked or in a dry diaper only.

As far as your milk supply/production 'going down,' that cannot ever be measured accurately by pump output-and there is a possibility things will improve in that department once you are using the right kind of pump. However, it is still very inaccurate to measure production capability by pump output no matter what pump you use. Be very careful about losing heart over pump output!

Have you looked into getting the books that have been suggested? IN particular, Making More Milk? Meanwhile, try www.Kellymom.com and search low supply, she has lots of articles on how to build supply. There are lots of options for supplements. Frankly unless you enjoy the tea, I think you would need the higher dosages of supplements in a pill form. But you should be able to discuss this with your LC.

I believe the availability of screened donor breastmilk varies on where you live. If you are in the US, you can inquire about buying breastmilk from screened donors from a Human Milk Banking Association Milk Bank. https://www.hmbana.org/ There are online resources that facilitate private milk sharing and selling, these sites are kind of like social networking, they do no screening, so a mother has to do her own screening of donors if she chooses.

For more on LLL’s policy on informal milk sharing: http://www.llli.org/release/milksharing.html
    Would it even make a difference if it were only comprising a third of his diet?
    If you are you asking if breastmilk being a third of your babies diet would make a difference in your babies health, studies would suggest definitely yes. While the more breastmilk the better of course, The benefits of breastmilk are there no matter how much baby gets. ie, some is cerrtainly beter than none, from a health standpoint. But you as teh mom have otehr considerations and may find the effort simply to great. That is OK, you will know when you need to move on should that time come. But it is very early days and you have been trying to do this without support and with two major contributign factors: namely, your baby is not nursing vigorously and well and you have been without the right kind of pump. Even a mom with no biological/medical barrier to good milk supply would likely be struggling with milk production in that case.

Ok, I am really excited to be picking up my hospital grade pump tomorrow, I also am glad to report that my son is learning to suck more vigorously thanks to the sns. He finally is getting results on the breast and has been giving some good strong draws during feeding. My plan is to continue to boost my supply every way I can and feed him with the sns until I trust the supply can feed him well enough a few times a day and maybe if I keep praying for a miracle, I can actually exclusively breastfeed. I really hope this pump helps and that my son starts getting better technique.

I am astounded that there have been so many factors involved with this process, nobody else in my family had these challenges. I am ordering the books and look forward to my consultation with the head of the breast feeding clinic at my hospital.

I have been able to pump more today than in the last week. I think that nasty tea is actually boosting output. I am also receiving my supplements in pill form on Tuesday so I don't have to taste this terrible goat rue and funigreek stuff.

I am beginning to have a little more hope having a better understanding of what has contributed. To my low supply and continuing on with this process. I am really glad ive been so stubborn so far and that I have gotten on here for support and help, nobody else has been truly encouraging or believed my supply could change for the better.

Thank you everyone

You got a lot of good advice here from the Mamas.... would just like to add with regards to your nutrition...
    you said you are eating 'all the right foods' I don't know what food you eat. But for me, what really worked is a LOT of veggies. And am not talking 5-a-day type of amount. I am talking juicing the greens so you can load up on the ultra important nutrients. Remember that cows don't drink milk to make milk.... they eat grass. Just think about that. And then do as they do, eat lots of leafy greens... and watch the magic happen. Just eating 'salads' won't be drastic enough, if you really want to see results, get a juicer. Put it brocs, cabbage, spinach, carrots, apple, ginger and celery. Drink this 3 x a day or more if you can. (They can get expensive esp since they have to be organic but its worth it). 2-3 days of this and you will get results.
    Lastly, affirmations are great tools. Instead of saying my 'inadequate' breast, refer to them instead with more positive descriptions like my 'slowly adjusting' breasts, my breasts that are slowly but surely producing milk.... it's not about semantics, it's may seem so initially but observe the shift in your frame of mind when you keep on using positive words....
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    Ok, I am really excited to be picking up my hospital grade pump tomorrow, I also am glad to report that my son is learning to suck more vigorously thanks to the sns. He finally is getting results on the breast and has been giving some good strong draws during feeding. My plan is to continue to boost my supply every way I can and feed him with the sns until I trust the supply can feed him well enough a few times a day and maybe if I keep praying for a miracle, I can actually exclusively breastfeed. I really hope this pump helps and that my son starts getting better technique.

I am astounded that there have been so many factors involved with this process, nobody else in my family had these challenges. I am ordering the books and look forward to my consultation with the head of the breast feeding clinic at my hospital.

I have been able to pump more today than in the last week. I think that nasty tea is actually boosting output. I am also receiving my supplements in pill form on Tuesday so I don't have to taste this terrible goat rue and funigreek stuff.

I am beginning to have a little more hope having a better understanding of what has contributed. To my low supply and continuing on with this process. I am really glad ive been so stubborn so far and that I have gotten on here for support and help, nobody else has been truly encouraging or believed my supply could change for the better.

Thank you everyone
    did you get your pump? how are you ?

I have been enjoying the automated hospital grade medela its so efficient and quiet. I haven't seen an increase in supply but its much faster with its power. The lactation consultant confirmed that its very unlikely I'll be able to produce much more than I am now, she was very surprised and proud of me for doing all I am though. I am still going to work on stimulating my supply to see if I can get even another ounce or 2. I will be getting a juicier to build up my veggie intake. I have a garden going so I'll juice my chard and green beans and I'll start growing my sprouts again. Are tomatoes good for breastfeeding?

I am really tired of this struggle to achieve what I now know is not possible... so I have redefined my goals and do feel better, I want to try to pump for 4 months, at that time if I can keep it up I want to go to 6 months and if that works out allright, another two.

I am getting my medela sns tomorrow and am excited to use it instead of my tube fed baby syringe system that only holds 30cc at a time.

Thanks for all the support and great suggestions... I feel happier having redefined my goals to fit my particular abilities. I am trying to be more positive and am happy I can at least do this much.

So glad to hear the hospital-grade pump is working better for you! And that you're in a good place, as far as redefining your success.

Veggies are always good for you. Always best to eat the whole veggie, rather than just the juice- if you just drink the juice you're skipping out on the fiber, and just drinking the carbs (and vitamins and minerals, of course). When it comes to foods and breastfeeding, there are no veggies I know of that are particularly recommended. However, the herbs fenugreek and blessed thistle are often used as milk increasers, and peppermint and sage are often used to damp down on supply when mom has an overabundance. So try the former, avoid the latter!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Proud of you mama!

I wouldn't worry too much about veggie juice, just eat healthy.