Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SEVERE PAIN with Initial Latch that Dissipates

Default SEVERE PAIN with Initial Latch that Dissipates

I've been dealing with off the charts pain with my son's initial latch. (He's 1 month old). The pain lasts for probably 1 minute, but it is excruciating pain. The pain is completely internal, no cracking or bleeding. It seems to travel in a line down my breast, so it seems nerve or duct related. My lactation consultant says he has a great latch/positioning and that I don't have any signs of infection. We think we've ruled out vasospasms and Reynaud’s because I don't have the cold sensitivity. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Nursing feels more like torture for me than bonding, but I absolutely don't want to give up.

Default Re: SEVERE PAIN with Initial Latch that Dissipates

That is the 60 second sizzle. And yeah, it hurts. See if getting him to take a bigger mouthful helps, as the pain is from baby sucking the nipple along the hard palate.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

been there done that!
    I'm like..what the heck, he doesn't have teeth to bite me yet!
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

with aprilsmagic- pain that occurs during the initial latch-on phase, but which does not persist throughout the feeding is often related to a latch which is starting out too shallow. As the feeding progresses, the nipple is drawn back into the "ideal" spot on the back of the tongue, under the soft palate, at which point the pain stops. If this is what is going on, try changing your nursing position (one may work better than the others), try the nipple sandwich technique, and try being patient- as your baby grows and his mouth grows, this is likely to go away.

Sometimes pain which radiates through the breast can be related to letdown sensation. Does this feel "letdown-y" at all? Does it coincide with your having a letdown?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I thought this 'pain' was called letdown... For me this was what i thought it was anyways, so at times i would bite into a pillow to 'alleviate' the sensation, when it became too much i drank ibuprofen. i only did so about 2 or 3 times. Then i just accustomed to the sensation and it does dissipate somehow. Now at 4 months, I can still feel the letdown but not as strong as in those first few weeks.
    I hope in your case, there is nothing serious going on.

IMO, Breastfeeding in the first few weeks is way more 'painful' than labour. (By the way, i did an unassisted home birth ala Laura Shanley: no meds, no midwives, no doctor).
    Nothing prepared me for the challenges in BFing, but your mindset plays a big role too. E.g.when about to give birth: are you a woman in labour? or are you a mother about to welcome her child...? See the difference? although same situation, the 2 different mindset will produce 2 very different experiences. The same can be said with BFing. I just was so happy that milk was flowing and i knew it was coming, so the 'discomfort' for me did not matter in those initial weeks....

For me, letdown feels like intense pins and needles all over both breasts, and it doesn't happen when baby latches on. It happens after baby has suckled a bit and started the milk going. Usually right after the 60 second sizzle has abated.

Oh, and then there are the after pains, pains usually felt by a second or more time mama that have to do with the uterus contracting in response to nursing. Hurts really quite bad; I threw up from those. I might not have any more kid's becasuse of the after pains. Worse than any labor I've had.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had a yowie letdown with my youngest, after having no letdown sensation at all but plenty of severe latch pain with my oldest-In my experience they were very different sensations. And I am not sure what I would have done if the happened at the same time! Yeouch.

Some moms do have lots of latch pain of one kind or another early on that abates with a little time and practice. But many times a mom will sacrifice her own comfort in order to nurse, powering through something that is clearly a red flag for latch issues. When the pain is pointing to something more serious, this could mean a mom ends up with severe nipple injury or pain that simply never goes away, and gives up nursing because the pain is just too much, when maybe a few adjustments or hands on assistance would have made the difference.

OP what do you think? Does this feel like teh 30 second sizzle to you, something you can live with that will get better-or not? Have you tried different positions, latch techniques? Would you like more ideas?