Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm NOT going down without a fight!

Default I'm NOT going down without a fight!

My supply has taken a HUGE nosedive. I am working my butt off around the clock to get it back up. I have run out of reserve so I if something doesn't change we will be headedo the store to drop some money on formula. I'm not opposed to the formula as much as I am opposed to the cost. I work full time by the way...

I keep thinking it's menstrual related but it hasn't shown it's ugly self yet. I went from pumping around 12 - 15 oz a day to um.. 2. Ugh! The decline started last Friday and gradually got worse. Luckilly my DH stays home with the kids so he has been bringing Ella up here once a day so I can BF. I am also power pumping day and night.

The problem is...my milk JUSTWONT DROP! Do any of you ladies know what could be causing that??

I keep thinking it's going to bounce back like always but it's never taken this long and in the back of my mind I'm afraid it's over.

Default Re: I'm NOT going down without a fight!

A sudden plummet like that has me

Have you tried replacing parts on your pump? Could it be worn out?

How long are your pumping sessions?

Could you be pregnant?
    Last edited by @llli*pizanite; June 28th, 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: those darn smileys
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I'm sorry--that is so frustrating! How old is your daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pizanite View Post
    A sudden plummet like that has me

Have you tried replacing parts on your pump? Could it be worn out?

How long are your pumping sessions?

Could you be pregnant?
    There's got to be some explanation, your supply shouldn't just tank like that ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree, your milk supply shouldn't just drop like that. It doesn't make sense. Many questions immediately come to mind. How old is your baby? Could you be pregnant? Are you using any new birth control or medication? How are you otherwise feeling? Are you feeling painfully engorged? Also, please let us know more details about your pump. Have you tried replacing the membranes?

If nursing is going well, it seems like it would be a pump problem.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    If nursing is going well, it seems like it would be a pump problem.

Can you rent a hospital grade pump to try?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hey ladies! I just got home from work and nursed baby girl till she had a full tummy then pumped out another 2 oz. So it seems the ultimate problem is my milk just won't let down with the electrical pump anymore. Last night I went to the nursery and picked her up asleep to have her suckle enough to get my milk to let down (after trying to get it to let down with the pump for about 5 mins) then laid her back down and went back to finish pumping with success. It let down just seconds after she latched.

Monday at work when I went to pump on the 1st session I got nothing, second session my milk finally dropped (after 5 mins!) and I got 5 oz, the third session my milk finally dropped, after about 5 mins also, and I got 3 oz. So a total of 8 oz that day. The rest of the week it hasn't dropped at work. Like I said earlier, DH brought her to work so I could nurse so I still have demand. I have pictures of her nursing on my phone, I have massaged and tried warm coths, nothing works.

I'm not pregnant or on any prescriptions. It still could be the possibility of my menstrual cycle couldnt it??

I am just going to lay around with her all weekend and nurse (skin to skin) as much as I can.

One more thing....I JUST moved her into her crib a couple of weeks ago and she is only waking up once a night v/s three or four since we did that. She used to nurse ALL night long and now it's just once MAYBE twice.

Thanks for all you input and support gals!!

It sounds like your pump might be on the fritz. I would do this:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Can you rent a hospital grade pump to try?
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).