Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If starting formula becomes necessary

Default Re: If starting formula becomes necessary

hi. i didnt really read all the way through so forgive me if any of this is repeated!

i think the bottle refusal has more to do with bottles than the lipase myself. once my son got used to the bottles he really didnt refuse the milk unless it was a couple of days old. previously i had been scalding right after i pumped and it was a lot. so i decided to try giving him a bottle of unscalded milk from the day before once he was used to a bottle and it was fine. i ended up only scalding on fridays (or sat if i was too busy fri night) because i found my milk was off by monday from a friday pump.

work on the bottle issue if you can with someone else giving the bottles. the way my little one finally took the bottle (he took medela) was when his caregiver placed a night shirt of mine on her chest and snuggled him while she gave him the bottle.

try an oz or two to not waste milk. it may take a little bit but it will happen. i would recommend you also not be in the house. go out for a little it is hard but it will work eventually.

after the baby is taking the bottles then i would put milk in the fridge overnight and give the baby that milk the next day to see if she will take it. t

oh, and i would not mix formula with bm. i dont think formula has a good taste at all. work on the bottles for a little first and then see where you are at. good luck.

if you end up choosing formula you would not want to mix it with bm, you give it before or after since formula is thrown out after a feeding and bm is not. mixing leads to baby getting less bm and throwing bm out unnecessarily.

I would say, if mixing formula and the lipase affected old bm works, (try it with a small amount) and the alternative was tossing your stash of bad tasting breastmilk, then no reason not to do it as long as you understand the drawbacks. Some moms have had success mixing the old bad tasting bmilk with fresh, good tasting bmilk as well.

Just remember if you mix formula with the breastmilk, then it becomes like formula as far as shelf life goes, and any leftovers have to be discarded immediately. But if you were going to throw the milk out anyway due to the lipase that is not really a drawback.

Also, you need to mix premixed, ready to go formula with the breast milk. I think it is not recommended to use breastmilk as a substitute for the water needed to mix a powder formula. kwim?