Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If starting formula becomes necessary

Default If starting formula becomes necessary

Hi,
    I have a lipase issue, and a bottle refusing issue. I'm going to start scalding and see if that helps, but I'm thinking if I find out that my baby will take formula in a bottle but not ebm, then I may do that. It will be a last resort but I'd rather she have something while I'm at work then cry and be miserable all day.

If it does become necessary, is there a certain type of formula that is better for babies who have been breastfed?

Is it possible to have baby take formula during the day and still nurse during the evenings?

Thanks so much

Default Re: If starting formula becomes necessary

Will your baby drink milk that has been freshly expressed (straight from the pump and to a bottle)?

I have no personal experience with formula, but it's my understanding that formula is formula and no one brand is better than another. You may just need to try a few brands to see if something works.

However, if lipase is the issue then scalding will work as long as you scald in time. If it is simply a bottle rejection issue, then formula is not going to make a difference and you should look into some alternative feeding methods, like cup feeding.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks, I am looking into whether the issue is the lipase, simple bottle rejection or both.

Agreed, the scalding should help the lipase if you scald your milk before it starts to turn yucky. A lot of women find their milk is okay for a day or two, and they can give bottles as long as they are fresh (saving you some time and energy scalding).

And if it's bottle rejection, maybe consider offering breastmilk in a cup/sippy?

I don't have a formula recommendation, I would just say, try any of the bigger brands - your baby may have a preference. Don't try to make your own, those recipes don't provide the same nutritional value. But I'm hoping that won't be necessary for you.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you. I am trying cups currently. I just want my baby to be happy and healthy while I'm at work.

Ugh that lipase can be such a hassle! I am sorry. Do you plan to continue to pump while you are at work, even if baby is formula fed during separations? I am concerned at this age about your milk supply going forward if you do not. On the other hand, how much you needed to pump would depend on how long/frequent the separations are and how much baby nurses when at home.

Sorry I am also clueless about formula, although an LC recently told me in passing that soy based formulas have fallen out of favor.

I had a really hard time getting my daughter to accept a bottle, as well. I literally tried about 20 different kinds. I was so desperate. I finally figured out that she was refusing the silicone nipple. I tried a latex nipple on a fluke, and it ended up being the only thing she would accept. I'm not sure if you have tried latex yet, but it may be worth a try if you haven't. Silicone seems to be the predominant thing these days. I had a hard time finding latex, and mostly ordered them online. They usually carry them at Babies R US though. Here's the brand that worked magic for me: http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Drop-I...rop-ins+nipple

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I agree with all of the above. I developed lipase after having been at work an pumping and had to throw out (didn't think about baking with it) a huge stash. Just make sure you find out how long your milk stays good. For me some days are shorter than others and I haven't been able to use it. So I tend to just scald as fast as a can to make sure. I'm really sorry if it lipase. I won't lie it sucks.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Is your lipase issue such that you need to scald your milk at work or will it last a couple of days? I know I've read of women taking a crock pot to work and scalding it there (I can't remember the article, but I know I read it somewhere).
    I have read if you are giving formula to start with milk base, not soy based. It's not surprising since soy really isn't the wonder food it was originally praised to be, actually there are quite a few reasons to not consume it. But if you're able to pump enough and work out giving your baby scalded or fresh milk you may very well not have to worry about formula.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your responses. I definitely have a lipase issue. My little one has taken some of it unscalded, but she protests and makes faces. Other times she completely refuses. I am trying to separate the lipase issue from the bottle issue still....I think it's been both. I've had the most luck with a soft spouted sippy so far.

I am at this moment scalding my milk using a bottle warmer for the first time, and also I have unscalded batches for taste testing to see how long it lasts. Unfortunately, I don't think it lasts very long -- I've tried it 3 hours after being at room temp and it was bad, and 3 days frozen and it was bad. I'm going to see how quickly it goes today.

After trying the scalding method today, I can say that I won't have time to do that AT work. I'm going to use my lunch break already to nurse my baby who is going to be brought to me. I just can't spend more time away from my classroom....it's not something I'm comfortable with.

So the key today will be to see how long my milk lasts because maybe I can scald it at home.

If not, I'm either going to have her take formula a few times a day OR

option 2: mixing formula with unscalded breast milk to mask the bad taste? Does anyone have any information on whether this could work???? Is it okay to do this???