Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problems with weight gain

Default problems with weight gain

I had my daughter on 6-8-12 she was born at 5lbs 14oz. When we left the hospital she was down to 5lbs 6oz. Her weight check 3 days after the hospital she was 5lbs 4oz and has remained at that weight since then. I am becoming very concerned with her not gaining any weight at all and I dont know what to do. Of course the doctor wants me to start her on formula and I'm not sure whats best for her. She is eating all the time. Sometimes I dont even get a 30 minute break in between feedings. I feel she has a very good latch. My nipples were only sore the first 3-4 days and have been fine since then. She poops about 4-5 times per day(yellow&chunky) and has 10-12 wet diapers. Im not sure if shes getting enough milk. When i pump i dont get much at all. But she always has milk running out of her mouth when she is done eating. She is a little sleepy while eating but is getting better at it. I figured her sleepyness was due to my having a c-section and being on pain meds. She is not jaundice. I have been taking fenugreek pills 3 3x a day for almost a week now hoping that will help. I do not feel this "let down" that people speak of so im not sure if im actually having one or not.
    Last edited by @llli*marcia4; June 28th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Default Re: problems with weight gain

How often is she eating? What are her diapers like, are they wet, poopy, etc? Do you feel like she latches well? Do you feel like you have adequate milk? Are your nipples sore?

I have to run, but these answers will be helpful to anyone coming along to help
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Great questions from the PP. In addition, is baby sleepy or jaundiced at this time? And can you give us a graphic description of her poop- color, consistency, amount?

I would be concerned that baby is nearly 3 weeks old and has not yet regained her birthweight, even though her diaper output sounds like it is just as it should be. Since your doc is pushing formula, I suggest seeing a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for hands-on help. Make sure the LC does a test weight at her office and ask about doing test weights at home (one test weight doesn't tell you much about milk intake, but the average of several over the course of a few days can tell you a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marcia4 View Post
    I had my daughter on 6-8-12 she was born at 5lbs 14oz. When we left the hospital she was down to 5lbs 6oz. Her weight check 3 days after the hospital she was 5lbs 4oz and has remained at that weight since then. I am becoming very concerned with her not gaining any weight at all and I dont know what to do. Of course the doctor wants me to start her on formula and I'm not sure whats best for her. She is eating all the time. Sometimes I dont even get a 30 minute break in between feedings. I feel she has a very good latch. My nipples were only sore the first 3-4 days and have been fine since then. She poops about 4-5 times per day and has 10-12 wet diapers. Im not sure if shes getting enough milk. When i pump i dont get much at all. But she always has milk running out of her mouth when she is done eating.
    That sure does not sound like a baby who is not getting enough milk. Pump output is meaningless at this point do not worry about that. Also I assume if baby is nursing that frequently she is nursing at least 12 times a 24 hour day, which is what you want to be doing at this point.

How does baby LOOK? She is little, but are you starting to se her fill out at all, in the cheeks, legs, arms? Are her clothes feeling looser, tighter, no change?

My guess is she has been weighed improperly. She needs to be weighed on the same scale every single time. Not same office, same SCALE. Ask if the scale has been recalibrated since your last weight check. (If it has, it may make the weight check off.)

Here is what I suggest, if your pediatrician agrees after you tell him/her that babies output (poops) are normal. Have baby weighed in a dry diaper or with nothing on, and watch very closely to make sure the nurse or whoever is weighing baby correctly. Look at the number yourself and make sure it is written down correctly. After the check is done, ask immediately for another check to make sure the first was done correctly-they should be almost exactly the same of course, unless baby poops in between. Then go home, nurse as you have been doing and at least 12 times a day for a few days, at least 3 days I would say, more would be better but if you are nervous I understand, and then go back for another check, done again just as described above. Typically baby should gain about an ounce a day but it won’t be the same every day.

im not sure what a IBCLC is

She is weighed on the same scale everytime. but i have not asked if it has been recalibrated.