Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doubling birthweight

Default Doubling birthweight

Hi there! I took my son to his 4 month check up today and received lots of encouragement! He is very long (25 3/4") and gaining well (born at 7lbs 14oz and today weighs 15lbs 5 oz.). I think that is close to double.... I am really wondering if/why doubling matters?? I am a little on the obsessed with weight gain side, as my 6 year old fell off growth charts at 9 months... Looking for some balance now
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: Doubling birthweight

Doubling doesn't matter any more than tripling or multiplying by the square root of pi. It tells you more about humans and their obsession with numbers and artificial goalposts than anything having to do with the baby. Nevertheless, there are a lot of myths out there about what a baby will or should do "once he has doubled his birthweight"- for example, that a baby is ready for solids once he doubles his birthweight, or should be sleeping through the night by the time he's doubled...

Always watch the baby first, and the numbers on the scale second.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, as long as the baby is doing well (growing, meeting some milestones, etc) then I wouldn't worry about it either. My first two babies doubled by 6 months, but then, in the next 6 months, only gained 2 pounds, so they were 18 lbs at one year. They proceeded to be very tiny, gaining slowly, until about 2 1/2, when they started eating a TON and caught up to their peers. That is just the way they were. No one was ever concerned really. I was a bit with my first I guess. Both are doing great today and always met milestones etc. My 3rd baby seems like she is going to more than double by 6 months, we'll see. Just watch the growth in the sense of it continuing gradually (sometimes mine grew only in length for a bit) and meeting milestones (although there is a large range of normal).
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Thanks!! Yes, I have heard the myths of sleep and solids and plan to ignore them (we cosleep, so we are getting decent sleep.). My son did the same thing-grew well until 6-8 months then fell off until 2 years. He is fine now, but very tiny. (6 years old, 36 lbs and 38" tall!). Anyway... I will do my best at ignoring numbers...it's tempting to figure it all out though
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)