Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions re: weaning before 1 year :(

Default Questions re: weaning before 1 year :(

I wanted to nurse my son for at least one year, but after returning to work this past spring after my maternity leave, I realized how much of an uphill climb that was going to be. I wish I could stay home with my LO, but that's not in the cards for me. Instead of stressing myself out having to leave my classroom (I teach HS English) 3 times per day, find someone to cover me, run around like a chicken with my head cut off, and explain to my students why I leave every day, I think it's best for me to give my son formula while I am at work.

By August, I will have been breastfeeding for 8 months, but I am going to start weaning him from his day feedings to a bottle before that. My questions are:

- Will I be able to maintain my milk supply only feeding twice a day from August - December? (I would like to still nurse him in the morning and evening if possible.) Also, just to clarify, I will NOT be pumping at work.

- I will most likely have to wake him up to nurse him before I leave for work. This will bump up his wake time by about an hour. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Default Re: Questions re: weaning before 1 year :(

Sigh. It's always the teachers and the nurses who seem to have the hardest time finding time to pump. ALWAYS. I completely understand why you're contemplating combination feeding at this point. The fact that you got your LO to 8 months with EBF is wonderful!

To answer your specific questions:
    - Yes, it is possible to maintain some sort of supply even when feeding just 2x per day. However, the supply in question is likely to be quite small. Do you co-sleep with your baby? Night-nursing while co-sleeping might allow you to squeeze in several more nursing sessions per day, and maintain more of a milk supply.
    - Bumping baby's wake-up time should not be a problem- babies are adaptable. Try it and see how it goes!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

teaching and pumping can be very tough mama. very tough.

there are a number of teachers on here who may be able to offer some advice if you are interested.

i will say that for me, my job is demanding and did not allow me to pump when i wanted all the time, but i was able to make it work well. you would be surprised what you can fit in!

and i will be honest, although pumping is not great, i loved knowing that i was giving my baby bm, it helped me be away from him. sometimes i even felt like it gave me a mental break from the stress of work!! put on some music on my phone, read, etc. i know teachers often fit in some grading during pumps.

and i think you would also be suprised how helpful and understanding others can be if you are very matter of fact about it. it would be good for young adults to know moms bf

if you would like to troubleshoot your schedule, find a room etc we can help with that.

Can you work on a freezer stash between now and Aug? So that you are supplementing with your own milk instead of formula?

Way too lazy for formula

If you are certain you want to day wean then that is okay. Nursing even for 8 months is no small feat and quite an accomplishment. However, it sounds as if you would prefer to continue to nurse. How long are your days? By 8 to 9 months I was able to pump only twice during a 10-12 hour shift and maintain my supply. Do you think you could try to pump at least once during your lunch break? If so, this could really help.

I am a high school science teacher and I pumped during lunch, during my planning period and right after school with all three of my kiddos. Do you know what your teaching schedule is going to be for the fall? If you did, we could do some brainstorming. Even if you couldn't pump enough for your kiddo during the day, even one or two pumping sessions would help maintain your supply for breastfeeding when you are around your LO. I know that you are not planning on pumping, but if you even could get to December, that would mean that you have gotten to one year.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I'm wondering if you could pump to and from work during the commute and on your lunch. If so with an 8 month old I would guess you could avoid supplements. Maybe pump once on the weekends to add to the freezer stash.

Any thoughts regarding these and the pp suggestions?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

For what I understand, I don't think she wants to pump. She is not asking for advice on how to pump so to answer your questions:

- Your milk supply will drop but you can still nurse whenever you are with your LO. Co-sleeping is a great idea, it will also give you that closeness that you will lack during the day (I love to nurse all night so it's easy for me)
    - Wake your baby up, he'll benefit from it.

I don't have personal experience about this but my BFF has twins, she never had enough milk for both One weaned very early on despite all her efforts but the boy is still nursing and he is over a year old. Breastfeeding was never his main source of milk but she kept going, it's always better something than nothing IMO

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Oda.Baby View Post
    - I will most likely have to wake him up to nurse him before I leave for work. This will bump up his wake time by about an hour. Is this a bad idea?
    I think that is great idea (especially if you will only be nursing twice a day). I did this many of the days that I worked even though I was pumping. Many times my son would just nurse and fall right back to sleep. Even when he stayed awake, there were never any problems because of it and he was always very happy and playful during the day.

Be prepared for the possibility that he may start waking at night to nurse to make up for the daytime nursings as he is weaned. He may also want to nurse at night to reconnect with you after you go back to work. Nursing is about bonding and comfort as much as it is about food, so these sorts of things are common. It is also common for babies to start nursing more frequently at night around 7-8 months anyway because of teething, milestones, and all that good stuff. It's certainly possible that your baby will not start waking more (not all babies do this), but it's a possibility and you might want to be prepared. Cosleeping can help a lot with that if it does happen.

Good luck!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Oda.Baby View Post
    I wanted to nurse my son for at least one year, but after returning to work this past spring after my maternity leave, I realized how much of an uphill climb that was going to be. I wish I could stay home with my LO, but that's not in the cards for me. Instead of stressing myself out having to leave my classroom (I teach HS English) 3 times per day, find someone to cover me, run around like a chicken with my head cut off, and explain to my students why I leave every day, I think it's best for me to give my son formula while I am at work.

By August, I will have been breastfeeding for 8 months, but I am going to start weaning him from his day feedings to a bottle before that. My questions are:

- Will I be able to maintain my milk supply only feeding twice a day from August - December? (I would like to still nurse him in the morning and evening if possible.) Also, just to clarify, I will NOT be pumping at work.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    short answer to your question in bold is no.

again my question is WHY only feeding TWICE per day? that itself is what will kill your BF relationship; limiting yourself or your son to ONLY two nursing sessions per day, instead I would nurse on demand every second I was with my son and offer solids when i was away.....

additionally i may add that If it were me I would probably pump on my lunch to relieve discomfort and maintain supply if for no other reason.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07