Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still having extreme pain

Default Still having extreme pain

Ok ladies, I posted something before about awful pain in my nipples while I nurse. Talked to my doctor she said possibly latch issue, or it is possibly just going to hurt. Previously the lactation consultant at the hospital said latch was fine. Called le lache league in Springfield MO (closest in area) she said possibly Reynolds phenomenon and to take calcium and magnesium. I have been using a nipple shield but want to try and get away from it. I can feed with only slight pain with it, but without I am in total pain again. My daughter is 2 months old and I believe she is clamping down her jaw when she nurses. What can I do to change this? And why would this only hurt without the shield? I want to nurse skin to skin, and also it is easier without dealing with the little plastic piece and she only takes 20 mins and she is satisfied where as she takes 40 mins with the shield. Sorry for the jummbledness and bad english, lol I am trying to type while rocking my lovebug to sleep.
    Wife to my wonderful Husband Shane 5/15/2010
    Mother to beautiful lovebug Emma Rose 4/24/2012

Default Re: Still having extreme pain

I can't remember what your other posts have been exactly, but I know that for us, early on, my baby was really clamping down hard to try to slow an overactive letdown. It was manifesting itself in vasospasms, and I had terrible cracks on my nipples, and in a ton of pain, like bite on a bullet kind of pain. What really helped with that situation was the reclined nursing positions, and really focusing on making sure his latch was good, which sometimes meant pulling him off and starting over, or sometimes if we got too frustrated, just gritting my teeth, and waiting til he got some milk in him and calmed down a bit. It took a while for us to really get a good latch, and I don't know whether he finally got the right muscle-memory, or whether he just got bigger, but it took a few weeks.

I was just thinking that maybe you could be experiencing something similar, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    I can't remember what your other posts have been exactly, but I know that for us, early on, my baby was really clamping down hard to try to slow an overactive letdown.
    Me too. It caused me a great deal of pain. The biting down stopped when I started nursing in a reclined position.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Ok, I will try that.and I have never felt a let down. I wake up very full but kind of empty the rest of the day. should I feel the let down?

Not everyone feels a letdown. I didn't feel it for the first few months, but I absolutely did have pretty severe OALD at that time. I started feeling it pretty intensely after those first few months, but that doesn't always happen for everyone. It could be something else, but laid back nursing can help with a pretty wide variety of issues and has no impact on milk supply so it's probably worth a try. It can take a lot of tweaking to find a position that works for you, so give it fair go to see if it works.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

My lactation consultant noticed my baby biting right after latch. She recommended massaging the jaw in a circular motion on the cheek between the ears and the eyes. It worked for us. Good luck.

So I have tried all your suggestions but I am at my wits end, I am hurting so bad still. I don't know what to do, I am trying to see the doctor or lactation consultant tomorrow because I am leaving for a family vacation. I don't want to give in and quit, but I don't know how much longer I can handle this pain.

Could you have over active letdown causing her to clamp down?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I saw the lactation consultant at the hospital, she said I do definitely have Reynolds syndrome and try b6 and calcium and magnesium, but besides that there isn't much else to do. My daughter has also been fussy and I think it is a combination that I hurt because she is sucking so much and for so long because I do not produce enough. I have had to supplement with formula and when she gets about 4 to 5Oz she isn't as fussy. as I said I don't want to give up, I am fighting what everyone is telling me including myself because I am do stubborn.

Post a question about Renauds specifically, as there are several mothers who have BTDT and they took a medication, but I can't remember what they took.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!