Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 minute nursings and crying at the breast..

Default 5 minute nursings and crying at the breast..

Hello, my daughter is 3 weeks old and we have had some problems on and off with breastfeeding. The first concern I have is that she only seems to nurse 5-10 minutes max, overall, during a feeding.. However she swallows after ever "suck," and I Rarely see her "comfort nursing." I also suspect I have a over active let down because she sometimes chokes and unlatches and relatches often during the feeding. Sometimes the milk also is seen spraying out when she unlatches. Is it possible for her to get enough milk in 5-10 minutes? I started nursing from one side for 2-3 feedings and then I switch to the other side to help with possible overactive let-down. I am hoping it helps.

My second concern is that once or twice a day while nursing she will start crying, kicking, and scratching. I usually remove her from the breast and she normally will be inconsolable for 10-15 minutes. When she calms down I return her to nursing or I will wait an hour or so to try again. Do you think this is a result of a overactive let-down? Gas?

She normally stools 4-8 times a day (yellow/orange runny-seedy) and urinates 6-12 times a day. She also went from 7 pounds 2 ounces to 8 pounds 11 ounces at her two week appointment. I feed on demand but I do not let her go more then 4 hours without nursing. SBF

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!- Jen

Default Re: 5 minute nursings and crying at the breast..

Weight gain and diaper output indicate that your baby is getting plenty of milk in those 5-10 minutes. Babies can get lots of milk in a very short amount of time with overactive letdown (and what you describe definitely sounds like OALD). My baby could get a full feeding in just a few minutes (I think he was a little bit older before he got to that point though).

The block feeding should help some by reducing supply and avoiding any possible foremilk/hindmilk imbalance that you might see as a result of an oversupply. You can also try nursing in a reclined position. That is what ultimately saved my nursing relationship. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my stomach or chest, and let him latch. It can take quite a bit of adjusting the positioning to find something that works for you. Nursing reclined helps with a lot of the fussing at the breast because gravity helps slow the flow of the milk. Some women remove their baby at letdown, let the milk spray into a towel, then relatch the baby. My son had no patience for that, but it has worked well for others.

Babies tend to be really gassy with OALD. Some of the fussing can be due to gas in addition to difficulty handling the fast flow. I had to give a tummy massage then bicycle my son's legs between every single feeding to work out the gas incrementally. I also gave a warm bath followed by more leg bicycling every evening.

Babies are able to better deal with the flow as they get bigger. I sprayed for 15 months, but my son was only bothered by it for the first few months. Stick with it and it will get better!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I agree, this does sound like oald. But just a word of caution-oald aka forceful letdown is not ALWAYS accompanied by oversupply. At 3 weeks, supply would normally be peaking and, as long as you continue to nurse frequently (10-12 times a day, at a minimum) and also by following babies cues, it will then typically start to regulate. Block nursing (keeping baby on one side through two or more feedings) may help with oald but it's primary purpose is to reduce milk production if a mom has oversupply aka overabundant milk production. -and I am concerned that at 3 weeks it is premature to be doing that.

I suggest instead to try the tips phi gives above and check out this article, http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/ particularly the part about helping baby handle the flow. Let baby nurse one side at a time and keep nursing VERY frequently, this is important even when block feeding. You can always add blockfeeding into the mix if the other ideas are not getting the results you need.
    Nursing laid back may help alot with that fussy behavior on the breast. It may take some fiddling but can make nursing so much more comfortable for mom and baby: for more info see http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I agree, this does sound like oald. But just a word of caution-oald aka forceful letdown is not ALWAYS accompanied by oversupply. At 3 weeks, supply would normally be peaking and, as long as you continue to nurse frequently (10-12 times a day, at a minimum) and also by following babies cues, it will then typically start to regulate. Block nursing (keeping baby on one side through two or more feedings) may help with oald but it's primary purpose is to reduce milk production if a mom has oversupply aka overabundant milk production. -and I am concerned that at 3 weeks it is premature to be doing that.
    in every possibly way with this. I struggled with OALD long after I got my oversupply under control. It's really common for milk to be abundant early on, and you don't want to get too aggressive with block feeding. I think that I was only nursing one breast per feeding, alternating sides between every feeding when my son was that young. I think that is a really good place to start. Honestly, it was the laid back nursing that really resolved our problems.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks for the advice guys!