Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplementing at daycare?

Default Supplementing at daycare?

Ok, so my son will be 11 months old on July 5th, he has been ebf (other than solids now) from day one and it has been a loooong tough road (very raw nipples for months and months, now heavy biting, over supply/heavy letdown- food exclusions for some allergies and so forth), but I really want to continue letting him nurse until 2. I have been lucky enought to get to stay home this long but have got to get a job soon and am trying to decide if I should pump upon returning to work (porb a 8-5 type job) or offer him a homemade formula (with coconut water and hemp milk if he can handle those/if no allergies to them) while at daycare and then nursin on demand at home. I should state that he nurses most during evening anyways, if we go anywhere during the day it is almost impossible to get him to nurse because he wants to know what's going on around him, and even Qat home he likes to stay busy and doesn't nurse much during the for the most part. So while I'm sure I've left something out, my main thing I guess is what is your opinion on supplementing wright a homemade formula while at daycare?

Default Re: Supplementing at daycare?

I'm not a fan of homemade formulas. The chemistry involved is complex, and I personally think that the formula companies do a better job (on average) of producing a product that is close to breastmilk than a kitchen chemist can. Since you're so close to a year, I would pump at work for just one more month. After a year, you don't need to offer supplemental "dairy" as long as you're nursing at least 3-5 times a day, which you easily could when you're with your baby. Also, after a year you can offer whole cow's milk, or cheese or yogurt- provided your LO isn't intolerant of those things.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

you don't have a job now, right, so you're not pumping now? many working moms pump wean at a year, then continue to nurse on demand other times. so you might not have to pump at all, depending on how soon you got a job. then he won't need a "formula" at all, just whatever he'd drink in a sippy while you're away (we do water, with occasional tastes of soy milk, rice milk, cow milk, juice).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

No job yet, I try to pump when I can but is very difficult for me and my pump doesn't work good for me. I am stressing about getting enough and my son has fpies and have to trail any foods closely. Currently he can have very select few things and no dairy, soy, rice, well no grains but millet so far. I will not be giving him a commercial formula due to allergies and sensitivities and not even sure if I can give him an alternate, but I know that I would like to find something for him to continue to have after he turns one. Who knows financially I needed to get a job months ago, but if I luck out in the since of stayathomemomville I will not find one until he is a year but even then I want to give him a blend of something so he can get plenty of nutrients.

I guess what I really what to know is how many of you supplement for daycare and nurse when home, do you feel like your supply remains adequate for your baby's needs at this point?
    Last edited by @llli*alza84; June 26th, 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    After a year, you don't need to offer supplemental "dairy" as long as you're nursing at least 3-5 times a day, which you easily could when you're with your baby.
    After a year your son can just have water while you are at work and nurse while you are together (just make sure to keep nursing frequently enough). There is no need to pump. That seems the safest and healthiest option given your son's allergies. It's quite possible that homemade concoctions will not provide a complete and balanced set of necessary nutrients. You should consider seeing a nutritionist about milk alternatives if you do not intend on nursing after a year, as not all milk substitutes are appropriate for a toddler.

If you want to work on pumping, then make sure the breast shields/flanges are properly sized, the tubing is firmly fixed, and the membranes/valves are new. If you are using a used pump, then the motor may be on it's way out. Breast compressions can help get more milk. Try to relax and don't focus on the pumping. I would zone out on a movie to help distract me from the pumping.

However, it is easier just to nurse. Working in 3-5 nursing sessions while you are home from work should be very doable. That's what I do when I'm working, and my son gets water at daycare.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alza84 View Post
    I guess what I really what to know is how many of you supplement for daycare and nurse when home, do you feel like your supply remains adequate for your baby's needs at this point?
    I stopped pumping about a month ago and have had no problems nursing my baby when we are together. There are lots of women here who pump weaned at a year and nursed without problems for years after that. Many of us do not supplement though. As I mentioned, water is sufficient as long as you are nursing enough at home.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks for the tips! That's good to know about the water at daycare also. He just doesn't eat a whole lot of solids so I don't think water alone would keep him full! Maybe alot will change by then, even though not far away...

Great thanks! He sleeps next to me at night and nurses whenever he wants then too, those are our easiest nursing sessions! I know, I have created a monster lol!

with what the ladies have said. I returned to my job and continued to pump for both my sons for about 14 months each, however after pump weaning my supply has been fine. At this age its well established and as mentioned you can nurse while together and offer water or another milk while at daycare. Even though you dont respond to the pump, you may want to pump or hand express during the work day to make your body u derstands that you arent nursing the day and dont get plugged ducts.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alza84 View Post
    Great thanks! He sleeps next to me at night and nurses whenever he wants then too, those are our easiest nursing sessions! I know, I have created a monster lol!
    I think you will find that a large number of us co sleep, no monster created.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language