Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some help - everything WAS going great and now...

Default Need some help - everything WAS going great and now...

All she seems to do is cry.
    I know I posted recently about this but there are now new issues.
    It seems the let-down in my left breast has slowed so much that she just gets bored and cries... prompting me to supplement with a little bit if breast milk in a bottle which i don't want to do.
    Im really worried about this as my left breast always feels soft, I've pumped after feeds religiously to increase supply,(nothing comes out) gotten her to feed on it first every-time, comfort feed on it only - she wont take the right for comfort, and still no increase and now a slow let down!!

I'd take fenugreek again but my right breast then has OS and she pulls of during letdown!

Any thoughts?
    Will it pass!!!

Her diapers are fine - about 7 - 9 a day.

Thanks x

Default Re: Need some help - everything WAS going great and now...

Stop supplementing NOW. Your supply is probably regulating (3 months is about the time many moms can expect this) and it takes a little more work to get the milk out. Your baby needs to learn how to work for it, and she won't if you keep giving a bottle!

Try some soothing techniques as you nurse her. Bounce her on your knee, walk with her, rock her, take her outside or into the bath, sing, turn on music or white noise while you nurse. Nurse in a carrier while walking inside or outside - you were going to get an Ergo, do you have it yet?
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Hey phi!
    getting carrier this friday - I can't wait.
    So could this be normal?
    Everything wasgoing great - although i have been supplementing but only half an oz... just paranoid really.

Hi

This very well could be 100% normal. No pain, good diapers - I'd bet that it's just normal supply regulation, normal distractibility, or a little of both. Don't give any bottles, no matter how small. That is potentially disastrous. Nursing while walking with my son really worked well for me to keep him calm enough to stay on the breast. It's easier with a carrier, but you can still hold her in your arms and nurse and walk. A nursing necklace also helped me a lot with distractibility - 3 months is when that often starts too.

Babies are always changing things up on you and there are lots of crabby little phases they can go through, so try not to stress it too much. Odds are everything is fine.

Try some of those soothing techniques while you nurse. Some other mama here might have some other ideas too. Many of us have been there and survived.

she is overly distracted.... will try the necklace - thank you so much - so good to hear a calming voice - well text?
    My family are all in NZ so it's difficult support wise - my partner works all day so it's just me trying to be as calm as possible when these fussy times happen and hoping that she's getting enough etc etc.

I"m going to stop supplementing, I've pumped about 70 oz ... I really don't need more ... from the right breast mainly as well.
    I did walk her - I think based on your advice a while ago - but I"ll try again.
    Thanks Phi x

Ah the distraction sets in. It's a pain but completely normal. The necklaces helped me a lot. They don't work for everyone, but they were fantastic for us. If the walking doesn't work or she is getting a bit heavy while you are waiting for the Ergo (get excited - I love mine), then try bouncing her on your knee while you nurse her. That has helped me a lot too.

Here are some links on nursing a distracted baby:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parent...ractible-baby/

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre.../fights-breast

When you are a first time mom it's hard to know when to panic and when to take a deep breath and stay the course. That's what it nice about these forums - there are a whole bunch of really knowledgeable ladies here to help you along.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Your supply is probably regulating (3 months is about the time many moms can expect this) and it takes a little more work to get the milk out. Your baby needs to learn how to work for it, and she won't if you keep giving a bottle!
    This. I think more moms than we know about get stuck in a vicious cycle of pumping and supplementing every time their supply drops a bit, simply because they never toughed it out and gave their babies the opportunity to learn that they need to work for their meals.

Just watch diaper output, and back away from the bottles.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

hang in there, tanpixie! you can do this! i agree with everything mommal & phi told you, starting with no more bottles
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This. I think more moms than we know about get stuck in a vicious cycle of pumping and supplementing every time their supply drops a bit, simply because they never toughed it out and gave their babies the opportunity to learn that they need to work for their meals.

Just watch diaper output, and back away from the bottles.
    It's hard, but the bottles just make things worse! Your baby's diaper output sounds great - you don't need to supplement!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.