Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fluctuations in supply?

Default Fluctuations in supply?

It seems my supply has been fluctuating. I have been stressed. Could that be it? For example, while we were traveling it seemed low (breasts extra soft, decreased pumping output, etc.). The very next day it was up again - maybe because we'd arrived at our destination and I could relax? Now we're traveling again and my supply has dipped. I've been doing pumped bottles because I'm going back to work next week. Usually my pumping output it good - I pumped for 12 months with DS. Anyways, why could it be fluctuating so much? It's also hard because DD only nurses when sleepy. And lately she just falls asleep before finishing the breast. Can you tell I'm confused and overwhelmed ?
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Fluctuations in supply?

How do you know it is fluctuating that much? And how old is baby again? Some differences in how you feel (full, not full etc) would be perfectly normal and have nothing to do with low milk production. Also, it is entirely normal for milk production to fluctuate from day to day.

It is possible you have issues due to stress, I think let down, more so than actual production, can be hit by stress sometimes, and that would affect pump output probably. But in my experience, milk production is adversely affected primarily by one thing and one thing only-baby not nursing frequently enough or not effectively enough. If mom is pumping, then it could be an issue of not pumping enough or pump performance.

Are you nursing as often as you do normally? If not, that could be all it is.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes, I am nursing as frequently. I nurse about every 2 to 2.5 hours (i have to catch her right as she is going down for a nap or while she is napping because she won't nurse when awake). Perhaps my supply has just regulated (she is 3 months) and my OS is gone. When I had OS she could just barely suck in her sleep and get flooded with milk. Perhaps now that it's regulated she doesn't want to do the work to get all the milk out? That would be a nursing effectiveness issue. I think I'm just going to have to see how the next few weeks go as she starts daycare and bottles. She rarely will take more than 2.5 or 3 ounces from a bottle, when offered about every 2.5 or 3 hours. So I guess based on my pumping output my supply is regulated. I'm just trying to ride the next few weeks out. I just hope that someday she will nurse while awake and we can get back to a more normal nursing relationship! It's getting tricky to "hurry up and nurse her before she wakes up!" as I also have a toddler.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

it makes sense for things to feel really different once supply has regulated, esp. if you previously made too much milk!

Remember to never go by pump output as an indicator you do not make enough milk. Pump output is a terrible way to judge overall milk production, -baby almost always extracts milk better than the pump, even a sleeping baby!
    If baby continues to gain fine from nursing at the breast, there is no reason to worry about baby not nursing effectively or supply. Yes it could be she was used to the fast flow, but that should resolve quickly enough-in fact if that ffld is no longer happening, it may help baby comfort nurse (and nurse in general) when awake now(?)

She rarely will take more than 2.5 or 3 ounces from a bottle, when offered about every 2.5 or 3 hours
    . I am a bit dumb about bottle feeding-but wouldn't that be a typical amount for a baby to take-a baby who is not being overfed with the bottle?