Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painless hard lump in breast.

Default painless hard lump in breast.

So giving my Lo her last feed before bed last night&found a big hard lump, its about 3inches long. Feels like my breast was full&a section didn't empty while I was feeding. Blocked duct? Used a warm compress&tried massaging it but it became painful, expressed before bed and it became less prominent but still quite large. It goes right down into my nipple :-s
    Any further suggestions would be welcome, thinking just feed/express as often as possible?
    My Lo is 8mo&I only feed off this breast.

Default Re: painless hard lump in breast.

Yes, that sounds like a plugged duct. Massage, moist heat, nurse/express as often as possible. This link has treatment options and further symptoms to look out for: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Yes, that sounds like a plugged duct. Massage, moist heat, nurse/express as often as possible.
    That is what worked for me. Massaging can be painful, but it helps. I also need to vary nursing positions throughout the day so that my son comes at the breast from all different angles.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Exactly. My favorite method is to get into a hot bath and massage my breast UNDER water, until the milk really starts to flow. Sometimes I put salt in the bath as a disinfectant, because clogged ducts can be a precursor for mastitis, and hey, a little salt can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Massaging can be painful, but it helps.
    This is a case of "if it hurts, you're doing it right." The good news is once you break the clog and the milk flows through the duct again, sweet relief!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes! A nice hot (not too hot just a comfortable hot/warm bath and then shower and massaging to try to hand express was the ONLY thing I could get to unclog mine. I made sure breast and nipple were submerged while soaking then when in shower I let the water hit it while I massage/expressed. I read (somewhere) not to squeez nipple but I did not care, i did it and it finally came loose and I got the tip with tweezers and it pulls right out then milk shot out! U would have thout I hit the lottery I was so excited lol! Best of luck and if it is a clogged duct then be prepared to get it again in same place (I have a few more times)