Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Comfort nursing amongst other things

Default Comfort nursing amongst other things

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to breastfeeding. I have an adorable little girl that is 3 weeks old. Lately we've been having troubles. She likes to comfort nurse but frequently when she tries to she gets frustrated because she gets a mouthful of milk and then cries.
    Also, she was born 8 lbs 7 oz and weighs 10 lbs 12 oz now. The pediatrician said she is overeating, is this even possible in a breastfed baby? If so, how can I get her to nurse less when she wants to nurse all the time. With that being said, I feel like sometimes she can nurse nonstop! She can fall asleep on the breast after nursing but if I move her even a little she wakes back up and starts sucking on my shoulder, so I think she me might be hungry and she eats again and this cycle continues for hours where she's feeding every 30 minutes or so. Like any newborn she prefers falling asleep in my arms after feeding but then if I try to put her down she cries and cries and will only stop if she nurses. Should I consider a pacifier at this point, I'd really rather her be able to comfort nurse.

Sorry I know this is long, but I just want to be sure I am doing nothing wrong. Thanks for listening.

Elina - mom to Katya

Default Re: Comfort nursing amongst other things

Hey mama! Sounds like you might have a touch of oversupply, but no, you are not overfeeding your LO. However, until your supply is regulated, it may be a bit difficult for your LO to comfort nurse. Have you tried the laid back position for nursing? This may slow the flow down a bit. You are doing nothing "wrong"...sounds like you are doing a great job!

I bet you have some forceful letdown and maybe some overproduction, but it's early to say for sure about the overproduction. Luckily, there is lots you can do for the forceful letdown, and then take a wait and see approach about the other. BTW the last thing you want to do if the issue is forceful letdown is to try to nurse less often.

Do not worry your excusively breastfed baby is overeating. With all due respect, that is nonsense.

Her behavior overall is entirely normal for this age. But she may be happier comfort nursing and in general if you can help her handle the fast flow better.

See here for good ideas: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

and here are some nursing reclined ideas, this helps with the fast flow quite a bit. Plus, super comfy position for mom. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/ and www.biologicalnurturing.com

with PPs. Nursing in a reclined position really helped my son deal with my spray halfway across the room overactive letdown.

And this is so true there are not enough s I can use to adequately show how much I agree:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Do not worry your excusively breastfed baby is overeating. With all due respect, that is nonsense.
    My son was gaining a pound a week for awhile and was rolls covering rolls covering rolls fat. Our pediatrician, while surprised by the weight gain, simply said "You cannot over feed a breastfed baby. Keep feeding on demand." every single visit. My son slimmed down significantly once he became mobile.

You are doing great. Don't let foolish advice get you down.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).