Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 weeks and losing weight

Default 6 weeks and losing weight

If it's not one thing with us it's another and i'm really starting to lose it. My dd weighed 7 lbs 10 ozs when she was born and at her two week checkup, she weighed 8 lbs 2 ozs with breastfeeding and 2 ozs or so of formula a day. Now at 6 weeks and exclusively breastfeeding with a shield (minus a day of no shield) she is back close to her birthweight or a little under. I don't have baby scales, but the one i used to check her is pretty accurate with everything else. She was weighed with clothes and diaper on after just eating and it said 7.5 lbs. I already nurse on demand and let her tell me when she's done. Is there anything else i can do to get her weight up without having to give her a bottle of formula? I can't really afford an sns or anything like that either. I'm afraid it's just about time to give up :'(

Default Re: 6 weeks and losing weight

Was it the same scale and was baby wearing the exact same things as last time? If not, then it could be a variation.

I have a couple moms I work with right now who can't make enough milk. We determined this very carefully over weeks. They are nursing as much as they can and using supplements to fill in the blanks. One determined she needs to give baby an ounce before nursing, another gives one bottle a day. Breastfeeding is not all or nothing.

Do you have an IBCLC helping you?

I'm not convinced, if you were weighing baby with clothing on, that there is a problem. And I sure don't trust anything but a baby scale.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The first weights were on a baby scale with nothing on and then i weighed her with different scales with clothes on and she weighed less. It wouldn't bother me if her diapers weren't a little looser and stuff. That's what got me curious to weigh her. What i don't get is that she would get full and go 4-5 hours between feedings if i didn't wake her sometimes. I usually try to feed her every 3 hours if not sooner and she always got full. Now she's wanting to nurse constantly again.

6 weeks is a common time for a growth spurt where they nurse all. The. Time. I wouldnt assume it's a supply problem just yet because of the 6 week growth spurt. But it might be worth checking out on the same scale, naked, in a few days, to see what is up.

Do you have an IBCLC helping you?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

No but there's a good lc (idk if she's ibclc or not) that works with my mom at the hospital and she's gonna try to help me some if she can. She was supposed to call me today but i haven't heard from her yet.

For weight checks to be reliable it's got to be the same scale every single time. It does not matter how accurate the individual scale is, if it is a different scale, it may (likely is) be calibrated differently than the others. This throws the weight gain calculation off-in either direction. That is a heck of a lot of weight loss to not notice something was up. Has baby been pooping and peeing as much as baby should? I see that baby is nursing more now, but how often has baby been nursing before this? At this age it would normally be a minimum of 10 times a 24 hour day.