Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost 3 months bubba wont seem to stop comfort nursing...

Default Almost 3 months bubba wont seem to stop comfort nursing...

and crying.

Just lately a nursing session can last around 40 minutes as she feeds (only one side) but then stays latched on till she is deep in sleep then pulls herself off chocking with a mouth full of milk.
    She is maybe teething as mentioned before - she crys so much more at the moment and seems uncomfortable but I have no idea what it is.
    Just now she cried for about 10 minutes, I offered her the breast a few times and she just cried on it and then I lay down and offered it to her again and she took it as if she was starving - so I'm quite confused - any ideas?

Default Re: Almost 3 months bubba wont seem to stop comfort nursing.

There is a big growth spurt around 3 months. If that is what's up, then keep up the constant nursing and it will pass soon.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

should I allow the comfort nursing I know that there are two different beliefs when it comes to comfort nursing, i don't mind it - I'm a stay at home Mum so am not on a schedule I just don't know if it's good or not for her?
    Last edited by @llli*tanpixie; June 25th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

I did wonder about that .... she isn't eating more I don't think but she is definitely really grumpy about something!
    I"m not assuming low milk as her wet diapers are normal and everything else is fine - but could be I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    should I allow the comfort nursing I know that there are two different beliefs when it comes to comfort nursing, i don't mind it - I'm a stay at home Mum so am not on a schedule I just don't know if it's good or not for her?
    I don't see why you wouldn't comfort nurse her if it isn't causing problems for you. I think many of the people who have a problem with comfort nursing have never nursed a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    she isn't eating more
    How do you know?

I"m not assuming low milk as her wet diapers are normal and everything else is fine - but could be I guess.
    I really doubt it if diapers look okay. There are lots of reasons for a crabby baby - growth spurt, teething, new milestones, gas, and so on.

I figure she is not eating more as she doesn't feed sooner than what she normally does like previous spurts!?
    So hard when I don't know why she's so upset!

It could be a lot of things. I wouldn't necessarily rule out growth spurt, but there are so many other things it could be too. Nursing is the best way to deal with pretty much all of those things though. There is nothing about comfort nursing that will harm your baby. Curl up in bed with her and nurse as much as she wants. Did you get that Ergo (or am I thinking of someone else)? Baby wearing helps a lot with fussiness. Try taking her outside. A nice long walk and some fresh air is good for everyone.