Hi all, my son is 14 weeks old and 18 pounds. We have had many BF challenges but are finally in a great groove.
I return to work in 6 weeks. My son won't take a bottle. I have left the house and someone else has tried but after a few sucks he cries and refuses. He just waits for me to come home and we nurse. I admit I haven't been working hard to get him to take a bottle because I really enjoy BFing and during the day there isn't anyone who can give him a bottle. I don't like waiting until my husband comes home because that's my son's pre bedtime feeding.
My questions are:
1. If I want to pump, should I be pumping to replace a feeding? For example, if we are going to feed at 3, should I pump and feed him that milk?
2. Should I pump everyday at the same time and practice bottle-feeding daily?
3. Would pumping to replace a nursing session decrease my supply?
4. Since it's not possible for anyone else to give a bottle but me, I suspect he will refuse it. If he refuses it, would nursing afterwards be counterproductive?
5. If replacing a feeding with a pumping session isn't recommended, should I just pump after my morning feed? Since my son is now sleeping longer stretches at night, I am super engorged (usually only nurse one side per feeding as I have oversupply). Can I pump before I go to bed and use that milk as the bottle feeding practice milk or would this make problems worse at night?
Thanks for your help!