Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What herbs/supplements should a nursing mom take?

Default What herbs/supplements should a nursing mom take?

This may sound dumb! sorry I dont know! What should a nursing mama be taking daily in addition to daily vitamins and eating right? I keep seeing things metioned but dont know if its for everyone. Thanks

Default Re: What herbs/supplements should a nursing mom take?

I never took any supplements or herbs.
    I breastfed my 5 children and thankfully I attended La Leche league meetings so I knew that it was healthy to nurse my babies 10-12 times a day.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

You don't need anything additional for yourself. Unless there is some sort of underlying medical issue you are worried about, you don't need anything. Some moms take additional herbs to boost supply, but those are something you need to consult with an herbalist since they can react to other medications the mom is taking and some herbs react differently to some people.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

You don't need to take anything besides a good vitamin, and even that is probably overkill if you are eating a balanced diet. I've continued with my prenatals and now take extra calcium since I'm over 40.

I continued to take my prenatal vitamin when I remembered, and some vitamin D for kicks, but that was mostly for my own good - the nutrition of breastmilk is really high even in women who don't eat well, but the problem is that some of your own vitamin stores may get depleted while breastfeeding. So it can't hurt to take a multi.

Most herbal supplements are galactagogues which are only recommended if you're struggling with low supply. If not, no need to worry about those.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations! I know there is lots of confusing and conflicting info out there, but in the vast majority of cases, a mom need do nothing special to have plenty of super healthy, perfect milk for her baby. Just nurse lots and lots and grab as much sleep as you can. Think power napping. Vitamins and healthy eating are for you and your ongoing good health, your milk will be in great shape pretty much no matter what you eart, as long as you nurse frequently enough.

A great book I think all new breastfeeding moms should have is The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition 2010)

and this is a nice article I suggest to new moms: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

If you can, attend a local LLL meeting, fun and informative.

Great! Thanks for the posts and support. Great info.Loving the book. WAB has been my life support along with these forums! Wouldnt have made it this far for sure without them.