Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work- on 2nd shift

Default Going back to work- on 2nd shift

My DD is 7.5 months. (She was 5 weeks premature, but is caught up and then some in all ways so far.) I'm going back to work on Tuesday.
    I'm nervous as all get-out. She still won't take a bottle. She likes a sippy but doesn't seem to understand the whole swallowing-without-sucking thing. She's pleased to have you pour yummy boob-juice in her mouth but then is just pours back out again. Then she reaches for the yummy sippy again and we do it all over again.

She will take solids very well (both table foods and purees) so her pediatrician wasn't too worried. She said she'll either figure it out, or she'll get by on solids until I get home and then nurse all night.

I'm trying not to let that worry too much because she does LOVE to eat, so I don't think she'll let herself starve.

I am, however, worried about bedtime. She still nurses to sleep and usually cluster feeds at bedtime and then eats about every 4 hours at night. (And yes, she's really eating, not just pacifying and going back to sleep, despite what everyone seems to keep trying to tell me.) My husband is going to have to put her and my 4yo DS to bed w/o a boob and I fear how it's going to go. I worry I'm going to get home (at 10pm) and find her hysterical and my husband broken. And then we'll nurse all night long (even more than we are now.)

Does anyone have experience with working 2nd shift? Encouraging words? Advice? Xanax?
    Call me Trish!
    Robbie, born at 26w2d on 5/31/08. EPed 15 months. He was G-Tube fed until just before his 3rd birthday. He now knows the joy of food and drink by mouth!
    Charlotte born 11/12/11 at 35w2d. Blissfully feeding her from the tap since birth.

Default Re: Going back to work- on 2nd shift

greetings Trish,
    your DH will figure out how to make this all work. You can help boost his confidence by not sweating the little stuff. If he chooses to do something different than how you would have done , let it go and just smile and praise him. Your LO will be fine b/c she will feel his love and good intentions in his parenting style.
    your lo might fall asleep in his arms or snuggled in his chest. let your DH know that it's ok to fall asleep with her.
    I do not have work related experience, just experience watching my DH and holding my tongue when he stepped up to the plate to do some "hard time" parenting.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

They will learn their own routine and it will be fine.

My third didn't like a bottle, and he did eat more solids while I was at work, and was glued to my breast after I would get home, so don't be surprised if that is the case for you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My DS is significantly younger than your LO, however I had the EXACT same concerns when I was heading back to work. DS was 7 weeks at the time, I'm working 6-11:30p, and up until the day I went back to work he'd only go to bed nursing (and would be feeding all evening until he finally fell asleep). I was convinced I was going to be coming home to a screaming baby and a crying husband.

That was 3 weeks ago, and every night I've come home to them both fast asleep In fact, I had this weekend off and at bedtime, I locked myself into the spare bedroom and let DH put DS to bed like they've become accustomed to. I think it's good for all of us! DS is learning to sleep without sucking, DH is getting some awesome bonding time and I get baby-free quiet time.

You'll worry, so I won't tell you not to, but just trust that your DH will parent in his style with love, your DD will adjust and enjoy the time she gets to spend with him.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

thanks guys.
    She went to daycare for a few hours today and it went okay. She actually took 2 oz of breastmilk in a bottle. Turns out one of the teachers had a baby with a bottle hatred, too.. and several of the other babies in the room got their first look at a bottle at daycare, so they've been through it.

I took her in and stayed with her a little while, then nursed her before I left. (about noon.)

She ate 2oz at 2:00 and took a short nap at 3.
    I got in to pick her up at 5 and nursed her immediately. (she started crying as soon as she saw me. broke my heart!)

Tomorrow will be about the same except it will be my husband picking her up instead of me.
    I know my husband CAN do it. I just hate when he's all stressed out.
    Call me Trish!
    Robbie, born at 26w2d on 5/31/08. EPed 15 months. He was G-Tube fed until just before his 3rd birthday. He now knows the joy of food and drink by mouth!
    Charlotte born 11/12/11 at 35w2d. Blissfully feeding her from the tap since birth.