Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at night before bed?

Default Pumping at night before bed?

Hi all, my son is 14 weeks old (18 pounds) and we finally seem to have BFing down. He has started sleeping longer stretches at night, sleeping from 8p-3 or 4a. His last feeding is usually around 7. I usually nurse only one side at a time.

When he gets up at 3-4a to nurse, I nurse him in bed and usually one side. The other side is unbearably full as it hasn't been used for a while.

Can I pump both breasts before I go to bed around 10p? That way I can maintain my milk supply and decrease discomfort overnight.

I go back to work in 6 weeks and have heard that your supply really dips. Thanks for your help

Default Re: Pumping at night before bed?

You can pump both breasts before bed. In fact, I think that's a good way to generate milk for a freezer stash! However, it may be a little counterproductive- pumping at 10 means that you'll be maintaining higher nighttime production, and maybe you don't want to do that?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So pump after the first feed in the morning? And both sides? For how long? Until breasts feel soft? Thanks again.

Well, pumping after the first morning feeding is what many moms do. But that doesn't mean it's the best choice for you- I really do think pumping right before bed could work! The only concern I have is that if you have too much milk at night, pumping before bed could maintain that nighttime oversupply and perpetuate the discomfort. But it's a "maybe", not a "will"!

Since you're returning to work, how about posting your question down in the working and breastfeeding forum? There are a lot of knowledgeable mamas who will notice your post there and help you come up with a pumping schedule that works for you. It seems like a lot of moms who return to the workplace get overenthusiastic about pumping and generate immense stashes of milk- only to find that they don't need them. Because nice they are back at work they are pumping instead of nursing, and often get enough for their babies' needs without having to dip into their stashes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There are plenty of moms who have nursed, pumped and worked FT and haven't needed to supplement.

Don't go crazy with storing milk. All you need is enough in the freezer for the first couple of days as while you are away, you will pump the next day's milk. Fresh is always better than frozen. Freezing kills off some of the good stuff, and fresh meets their current needs; frozen from a month ago might not have antibodies baby needs now (and freezing kills those off anyway).

I usually pump just a couple ounces here and there to save up when I have a nursing baby. You only need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation for the first day. You might find it helpful to have a bit more than that I case of spills or you forget your milk at work.

Check for lipase before storing milk.

And come down to the pumping forum and let the pumping and working ladies help you
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!