Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting night weaning tonight. Support needed!

Default Starting night weaning tonight. Support needed!

We're beginning Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning method tonight and I'm so nervous! I'll be going back to work in a few weeks and my husband is off this week so it seems like this is the best time to night wean my 16 month old who co-sleeps. She still nurses most nights every 1 to 2 hours and I will need to be better rested when I return to work. I won't have the luxury of napping with her during the day anymore. She had about 4 nights in a row when she slept a 5 to 6 hour stretch but hasn't done that for over a week. I was really hoping she would stick with that so I wouldn't need to make a change but she's waking often again every night. I really need advice, encouragement, and support as we begin this stressful process. I know it will just break my heart to hear her cry but I won't be able to function with the very little sleep I've been getting at night. Thanks ladies!
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

Default Re: Starting night weaning tonight. Support needed!

i don't know about night weaning but i do work and nurse my 16 month old at night. i just wanted to tell you a couple of things that are true for me.

nursing my son at night does not mean less sleep for me. his waking/sleeping patterns vary. some nights he is awake frequently and some he is not. nursing him means i get back to sleep quickly and so does he. when he is teething it is a great tool and i know i get more sleep nursing.

although my son does wake up at night i do not feel like i am tired because of it. you may just be stressing more thinking about the sleep you will be missing when in reality you will be fine.

working as a mom is tough, but nursing my son at night only helps me.

hope that helps ease your mind a little.

We did his method with night weaning and it worked well, although there were some painful nights. I do get what you mean about needing sleep; that was what finally caused us to night wean.

What we did discover was that trying to get him to always wait until 6 AM didn't work, but now he sleeps in his bed (which is in our room) until after 5, and then when he wakes, I will bring him into bed with us.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

With my son, who was 16 months, it was Three rough nights for us. First was the worst, second was easier, and third was just a little fussing, I dont think I even had to get out of bed. However, we still co-sleep. It was just to close the all night buffet. With my daughter we waited til she was 3. Oy. Three nights of screaming. ANGRY screaming. Then it all calmed down and she understands.

Trust your gut. You'll know when he's ready.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Good luck, mama! I hope everything went/goes smoothly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Last night was not fun! But like Lyn, I have to close the all night buffet. The first time she woke up was 12:15 and it took until 1:45 to get her back to sleep. She would stop crying as much when I was holding her, rocking, and humming but she did not want me to lay her down. She woke up 2 more times. I would nurse her briefly then unlatch and try to hum her to sleep. One time went ok but she woke up again around 5:00 and by 5:40 I felt it was close enough to 6:00 so I let her nurse for as long as she wanted to. I am SO sore from the constant rocking from last night. Hopefully tonight will be better. We're still co-sleeping because I feel like that would be just too much change at once. I don't want her to feel like I'm abandoning her at night. She seems like her normal self today so it makes me feel like she is ready for this. It is just so hard to be strong in the middle of the night when she's angry and I just want sleep.

Sounds like a good first night for that method. Trust your gut - every child is different. The first few nights are hard, but if she is responding you will see progress over the next few nights, and it will get easier on both of you. Good luck!

Wow! Last night was horrible. She woke up at 12:30 and nursed briefly. When I unlatched her, she freaked out! She was thrashing and would not calm down. After about 30 minutes, it just did not feel right to continue last night so I nursed her whenever she woke up throughout the night. I think part of the problem is that she missed her afternoon nap then we went to a friend's house last night and came home an hour past her bedtime. We skipped her bath but still tried to read her some books like usual then nursed her to sleep. I think we'll wait a couple of days to get her back into a routine then try again on Friday. My birthday is Thursday so I want to wait until after that. Thankfully, my husband was able to be off next week too so he can help out. But what a night last night was! Just terrible.

sorry to hear that, mama
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

sounds like you did the right thing to take a break for a few days given the situation. That's great that your husband is able to be off next week to help work through this. If you're going to go through with this, chances are there will be some major unhappiness expressed in those first couple days. It's very much your judgment call as to what she can handle, and what is necessary for you to get through as a family at this stage. I hope things get easier for you all quickly. Let us know how it goes...