Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breasts suddenly feel empty all the time!

Default breasts suddenly feel empty all the time!

I have been bf my DS since day one even through about a week of struggling in the beginning. Things have been going really well and it seems to be all he wants to do. He is generally more of a snacker and will eat for about 5-10 minutes take about 20-30min break and then eat for another 5-10 minutes. The past couple of days my breasts have felt empty all the time for some reason even when we have just woken up in the morning where as they used to feel full or get engorged overnight. Sometimes when he is eating he will start to get extremely fussy I will take him off the breast burp him and return him to the breast he almost acts like the milk isn't coming out fast enough or not at all. I try to hand express to see if anything comes out and sometimes it doesn't or very little. I don't know what could be causing this. I have been trying to remember to drink more throughout the day in case it is due to dehydration. Any tips are appreciated!

Default Re: breasts suddenly feel empty all the time!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

As long as you are nursing on demand and baby is producing adequate diapers (see this reference: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...s/enough-milk/) feeling "empty" all the time is nothing to worry about. Most moms start out producing too much milk. This is nature's way of ensuring that baby gets fed while mastering the tricky art of breastfeeding. When a mom overproduces, she tends to feel "full" or engorged fairly frequently. However, this state of affairs does not last. After a while, the body adjusts supply to match demand very precisely, at which point mom will no longer feel full/engorged except on the rare occasion that her baby skips one or more feeding in a row. Often babies will fuss when the oversupply vanishes, because they've gotten used to a fast flow and to easily accessible milk. However, having your supply adjust is desirable, since making extra milk is a waste of energy and puts you at increased risk for plugged ducts and mastitis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As long as your LO is wetting 6-8 diapers/24 hours and having bowel mov'ts 2-4 times a day for the first month,gaining 4- 8 ounces/week or more the first 6 weeks you are on target.
    I am a big believer at looking, really looking at the baby.
    The feel and fullness of his skin, the moist mouth and bright eyes. the lusty cry are all signs that the baby is indeed thriving.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I agree your milk may be established now! Mine have been soft for a while too and I no longer "spray" when I'm full. Your body may just be producing the right amount

How old is your baby? Your supply regulates as your baby and your body come into sync with each other. You're only producing what he needs, because his demand is being met.

It is different with every baby. My first we regulated around 14 weeks (I think I aggravated the situation by pumping, I should have waited until we regulated), my second was about 8 weeks and with my third we were pretty much in sync by about 10 days. It's probably more due to the fact that as I had more babies, I relaxed more, knew how to get a better latch earlier and trusted that it would happen.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and