Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to block feed?

Default when to block feed?

My daughter is one-month old.

I think I am overproducing and have a fast milk ejection. I also had this with my 2nd child. I have been nursing on only one side at a time. This seemed to help with my 2nd child.

My daughter nurses every 2.5-3 hours for only about 10 minutes. I have been nursing her on one side for about 2 weeks now.

Sometimes she seems completely fine. Other times, she seems to struggle, is figety, breaks off a few times, and even has coughed a few times.

I'm wondering if I should continue with one side at a time for a while longer to see if my production begins to meet her needs or if I should even start to feed her on one side for a few feedings in a row?

Also, at times she wil break off (before even 10 minutes). Then when I try to relatch her, she will go like she wants to, but then won't and then will begin to cry if I push it too much. I'm not sure if she still want to nurse, but is frustrated with the flow, or do you think she really is just done? She is usually content for a few hours afterwards.

Default Re: when to block feed?

I would try nursing in a reclined position before getting too aggressive with block feeding. It sounds like this maybe a fast letdown issue. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my stomach or chest, and let him latch. Gravity helps to slow the flow. It can take a lot of tweaking (lean back a little less, a little more, put the baby in different placements on your stomach or chest, etc.) before you find something that works well for you. I had pretty insane letdown and nursing reclined saved my nursing relationship. Some women find side lying nursing helps too.

Nursing very frequently helps with overactive letdown and oversupply too. Your baby may refuse to nurse more frequently, but it certainly doesn't hurt to offer (especially once you find a position that she is more comfortable with).

You can try block feeding, but if you aren't having any other problems associated with oversupply then I would start small with it (same breast every two feedings) and give it a week to see what happens.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

with pp. Phi has given you excellent suggestions. Block feeding will reduce your milk production, and sometimes the issue is really more about the flow than that there is too much milk. If you DO start to block feed, remember to continue to nurse very frequently, do not cut back on nursing session frequency at all. IN fact nursing more often often helps with fast letdown.

Just another here. Great suggestions from the PPs!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I consider feeding on one side at a time as a mild form of blockfeeding, actually. For me, I never needed to lengthen the blocks longer than a couple hours, which basically translated to "one boob per feeding." Over time, this did also calm down the OALD (also, my baby grew into that). If you're not suffering from painful engorgement, etc., then chances are your biggest issue here is OALD, rather than severe OS.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

here too. It sounds just like what I was experiencing a few weeks back when my DD was 1 month! She's also my 3rd. I also wanted to add that if your LO is coughing and choking, she might be swallowing a lot of air which may be why she is crying. Maybe try burping her and then continuing?
    My DD gets really upset if I try to keep nursing her and she is full. It is hard to know whether they are done or want more, so I know how you feel! But it could be possible that she is just saying she is done, especially if she ends up being content for a few hours afterward. The fast flow and OALD makes them not like comfort nursing so they don't like to "hang out" at the breast.
    married to Ben 05/01/2004
    mama to 3 blessings:
    Ezra 03/01/2006
    Olivia 11/07/2008
    Eden 05/02/2012