Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weak Suck, pumping and bottle feeding :(

Default Re: Weak Suck, pumping and bottle feeding :(

Since your baby is so sleepy, you might want to try something called switch nursing. When nursing slows and baby seems to be falling asleep, you take him off the breast, burp him, change his diaper, and then put him onto the other breast. You repeat the process as many times as possible before baby will no longer wake up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The problem with nursing first is that baby doesn't associate breast with that lovely full comfortable feeling and can lead to nipple preference. So I usually tell moms bottle first, then nurse, and if they need to, to pump.

with switch nursing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

AH! Good to know! Switch nursing I have done, when he gets tired I take him off and burp him or change his diaper..of course skin to skin. Honestly it only helps me get a couple sucks more.

Susan-im finding your right- it works out easier to bottle feed him first and then breast and then pump ..anyway if i breast and then bottle he wont eat, he falls into a deep sleep and then I have trouble waking him to actually get some calories. Doing the opposite is great because he gets the bottle (fills up) and then tops off with the breast and falls asleep peacefully..I then have the time to pump!

I wonder if a nipple shield would benefit our situation for the time being? I am going to meet with my LC on tues so I will bring that idea up. Maybe he just needs more time to get a stronger suck?

Shields are useful tools for babies who won't nurse without them or when mom has pain but NOT issues with supply or milk transfer. In your situation, I don't think I would use one. Shields can slow/reduce milk transfer, and when baby already has trouble in that department you don't want to slow his feeding down even further.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Gotcha! No nipple shields. Well I have some good news: My little boy nursed twice today!!! I nearly bawled my head off...he was really drinking!! When he would dose off I didnt get discouraged, I would burp him or change a diaper and switch sides and HE ATE!! And he was FULL!! Oh it did my heart good. I will keep offering him the breast over the bottle now and hopefully in a few weeks we will be BF only!! Or atleast until I get back to work and then his daddy will have to give him a bottle in the evenings when I'm not there but oh this is great!!!

That's wonderful news, mama! You put in a lot of hard work today. Keep it up, and let us know how things are going!

I will definitely! I still gave him bottles to top him off and he declined them after each BF so that was awesome! I will keep working on it and hoping maybe it just took some time for him to gain strength.

GREAT news!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Thanks Lisa!!

Update: yesterday I saw my LC nad he nursed like a champ, we weighed him before and after a feed, he took in 5 oz!! Lol wow! His weight is still up and i nursed all day!! Supplemented only twice after great nursing sessions and therefor only needed to pump a couple times!! I dont know maybe the muscles in his face/mouth just needed the time after the tongue tie to gain strength? I dont know but what a relief!! I will bw EBF soon enough!! Thank u all for your help!