Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weak Suck, pumping and bottle feeding :(

Default Weak Suck, pumping and bottle feeding :(

I am a first time mom and new to LLLI. My little guy is 6wks old, I could use all the help I could get. Here's the deal: my son was diagnosed failure to thrive at 3weeks and I breast fed him from day one. He wasn't gettin what he needed and my supply diminished. Since then I have started pumping every 1-2 hrs and got my supply up (phew) and was feedin him (bottled breast milk) 2oz every 2 hrs. I went back to the dr. for a wellness check up and they said i can offer him a third ounce if he takes it--great--so i did. At this point I am pumping while having him on one breast..so that i can actually get the pumping done. I dont have much help around the house. Anyway so i went back to the dr and they said hes gaining about 2oz a day which is too much so i should now take him to 4oz every three hours. Well this is really difficult bc he just cries in between..its a miracle if we can make it that long. Meanwhile i am not taking him to the breast barely at all..instead im shoving silicone and plastic in his face...for me its devestating..i'd rather feed him on demand but i can keep him interested long enough. The latch is fine but he falls asleep within 2 mins..ive tried everything to keep him awake. Im working w two lactation cons. and btw he was ever so slightly tongue tied which has been corrected..but he still cannot empty a breast what can i do?

Default Re: Weak Suck, pumping and bottle feeding :(

You can feed a baby on demand from a bottle. I have done it with a cleft baby. I didn't schedule and I didn't measure how much he ate and when. So I think your doctor's advice is silly myself.

I would work harder on nursing though. Do you have an IBCLC around?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Doctors actually say that babies can gain weight too quickly?
    Sounds sketch.
    Anyway, how long ago was his TT corrected?
    Because my little guy had a TT that we corrected last week. He's 3 weeks and a couple days old now and it's taken him up until yesterday to actually be able to pull milk from my breast.
    My IBCLC said that because of his weight issues (mine had weight issues, too!!!!! took 2 weeks to get back up to birth weight because of the VERY same reason as you) he was behind the power curve, to bottle feed him, and wait it out.
    I did, and bam. His tongue now moves milk.
    I also was pumping every 2-3 hours. It bites, but it's worth it.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Anyway so i went back to the dr and they said hes gaining about 2oz a day which is too much so i should now take him to 4oz every three hours. Well this is really difficult bc he just cries in between..its a miracle if we can make it that long. Meanwhile i am not taking him to the breast barely at all..instead im shoving silicone and plastic in his face...for me its devestating..i'd rather feed him on demand but i can keep him interested long enough. The latch is fine but he falls asleep within 2 mins..ive tried everything to keep him awake. Im working w two lactation cons. and btw he was ever so slightly tongue tied which has been corrected..but he still cannot empty a breast what can i do?
    Get a second opinion. It is patently ridiculous to hold off on feeding a 6 week old baby who had previous weight gain issues!

Or clarify with your doctor. If baby was really getting "too much," why not simply cut back on supplementing but nurse more? It is my understanding a baby CAN get “too much” formula, (I have no idea how much would be too much) because formula is difficult to digest. But you cannot overfeed a baby at the breast, and even "too much" breastmilk in the bottle is likely not a big issue as far as babies health goes, as breastmilk is so easily digested.

SIGH. Can you get a second opinion? Ask around to see if there is a breastfeeding knowledgeable pediatrician in your area? What about the LC’s-are they helping you?

I do not get why, by this age, a healthy baby without latch issues is still conking out immediately at the breast. It may be a case of flow confusion at this point-baby is used to that rapid bottle flow, is getting enough from the bottle, and is using your breast to comfort to sleep. The comforting is fine, but you may need to cut back on the supplementing to encourage baby to nurse more and more effectively so baby is getting nutrition at the breast. What about trying a lactation aid for supplementing at the breast?

Stop worrying about “emptying” the breast. This is not what happens as you are always making milk. You can tell if a baby is getting enough at the breast by looking at his active sucking and swallowing, and some (more than one) before and after nursing weight checks may tell you something as well. Your LCs should be able to help you with this.
    See here for videos that show active, effective nursing and also lactation aid use: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13

also, can you get the book The Womanly Art of breastfeeding 8th edition. It may really help you to read up on what is normal and expected at this age with a breastfed baby. Book is cheap online may be at libray. Also, any local LLL?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 24th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.

Excellent advice from the PPs. I would immediately disregard your doctor's advice about decreasing feeding frequency- it is recommended that even bottle fed babies be fed on demand, and not on a schedule! Also, fast weight gain in the newborn period is normal for breastfed babies: some will gain a pound a week in the early weeks. Weight gain generally levels off around the middle of the first year as baby becomes more mobile and starts devoting his calories to action instead of packing them on as fat.

Meanwhile, let's get that baby on the breast as much as possible! I would talk to your LCs about 2 things: first, renting a professional scale for home use, and two, finding a way to feed baby at the breast all the time, even if supplements are necessary. I recommend the scale because you can use it to figure out exactly how much your baby eats at the breast, simply by weighing the baby before and after nursing and subtracting the before from the after. If your LO is eating around 2 oz every couple of hours on average, then you can just nurse him and not bother with bottles and pumping! If he isn't, then you know there's still an issue- maybe with the tongue-tie? Or simply with flow confusion?

Since it sounds like your baby is predominantly bottle-fed at this point, I would really like to see you try an at-the-breast supplementing method like a Lact-Aid or Supplemental Nursing System. These allow you to give supplements at the breast rather than by bottle, and while they can be tricky to finesse they also mean your baby learns that all good things come from the breast, and they can help you to transition to exclusive nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow...I second the ideas to ignore your doctor! I would look for a new one immediately. Especially if he is that tired when feeding, I would worry that he needs to be fed more or isn't getting the milk out. If he is happy at the breast, I would start by bottle feeding him 2 oz then "topping off" the meal at the breast each time.Slowly transition to 100% breast. If he is still having problems, have a LC look at him and possibly try an SNS. Goodluck! Your situation happens to a lot of babies-but it seems your doctor has really discouraged you (and in my opinion, made a lot of junk up!). You're doing a great job, just spend as much time as you can feeding that baby and getting him back to the breast.

Everyone--Thanks for replying! Yeah the practice I go to has several pediatricians and so far there is only one I like and the rest of them throw the bottle at me..I refuse the formula everytime. Anyway, his tongue tie was fixed 3 weeks ago...He still falls asleep immediately at the breast after a few minutes of sucking. Because he doesnt empty the breast I lose my supply..so I pump. I dont know what else to do. I tried SNS but as soon as the flow stops he sleeps...so whats the point? I doesnt teach him to suck any harder...he just gulps it down with no sucking..makes it worse in my eyes. Am I using it wrong?
    Also then with hooking myself because since my breasts are not being emptied because it takes an hour to get him to drink the sns..so I am ruining my supply by not pumping. So question? How do I do this? I am so confused. ..Do I put him on the breast before so he's really hungry then pump and give him whats left? I absolutely hate this, I cannot stop crying...I truly feel inadequate. I'm taking fenugreek to get my supply higher and for whatever reason i think its doing the opposite...or maybe its just stress..or that i'm back to not pumping every hour.

My DD had a weak suck and we ended up seeing a speech language pathologist who helped us with some exercises and feeding tips. How does your LO do with a bottle? My DD's suck was so weak she would take forever to take a bottle (sometimes an hour) and milk would dribble out of the front of her mouth at all times. Her lips quivered a lot and the SLP confirmed she had a dysfunctional suck because she only sucked in bursts of 5 or so before she stopped and often her lips would quiver again.

She eventually got stronger and grew out if it. But she never developed a bottle preference, so we were lucky there. I put her to the breast first, every single feed. Then followed with a bottle and what she took from the bottle varied. Then I pumped. After every feed for 8 weeks. And then after many feeds until 12 weeks when I was comfortable she was getting enough from me because I could hear and see active swallowing and was monitoring wet diapers.

Have any of the LCs weighed your LO before and after feeds to see how much he is actually getting directly from you? Or rent a scale so you can see how much he is taking on average? He may be getting more than you think. Mine was only getting 1 oz after 45 minutes feeding but I was seriously surprised she was getting anything. Her suck was so weak it barely felt like anything on my nipple.

Anyway, don't give up! It's possible that as long as your LO associates the breast with food, he will EBF when he gets stronger. And that may happen sooner than you think.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Also please don't feel you are inadequate in any way! You are the perfect mom to that little boy!

I pumped after I fed the bottle so I had enough for the next session. So it was bf, bottle, then pump and put that milk in the fridge to be used in a couple hours. I was never more than one feed ahead on milk! I thought I would run out, and I never did.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Lisa- Thank you so much for that advice! Seriously, its pretty smart doing the breast first and then bottle and then pump...honestly I have tried all different ways and really its so confusing. But the way you explained it..I think its genius! No joke. I am gonna get him on the breast at every feed starting tomorrow. I had him on a few times today and there were moments that he was really swallowing but as soon as that milk flow slows he falls into a slumber. He does the same thing with the bottles, depending on the nipple...some of them he is like chugging which leaves him almost colicky with gas. We have tried to weigh him and he does take in about an ounce with compressions on each breast, its just keeping him interested. I will stick with it..one of these days its gotta start working.