Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dark green diarrhea :(

Default dark green diarrhea :(

Hi all,

My 10-week old boy is having some dark green diapers. Two weeks ago we saw the doctor who told us it was probably a milk protein intolerance and that I should cut out all dairy and soy from my diet. The dairy was easy, but I've found that I keep accidentally consuming soy because it's in so many dang products! Plus a few times we've had to give him some frozen milk from before I cut out dairy and soy, so it makes sense that his diapers haven't totally cleared up. Perhaps all I need to do it wait it out a little longer...

Here's the thing though: about 2 days after I stopped the dairy, his diapers DID go back to being yellow and normal looking. That lasted about a week. But then, they turned back into dark green, and now they're also really watery/runny. Can't figure out why that would be the case. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit! He's happy, smiling, playful as ever. He doesn't seem to even notice. I'm wondering if this means the dairy/soy thing is not really the issue. I've read that it could be a foremilk/hindmilk situation. Or maybe another food allergy (would gluten do this?). Any ideas? I won't lie: I drink coffee, I also drink beer/wine now and again. Could either of those things be the problem? I can't tell if I should be worried about the dark green color, the fact that he's having diarrhea, or if none of this should worry me because it's probably just a bug or something totally normal.

Any sage advice is very, very welcome.

Default Re: dark green diarrhea :(

Okay, first off all green poop is in the normal spectrum of poop colors for a young baby. And breastfed baby poop is always loose and watery- like thin yogurt or watery cottage cheese. Don't expect formed stools until your baby is eating lots of solids.

That being said, what you describe could be either and allergy or an oversupply (a.k.a. foremilk/hindmilk "imbalance"). I hate it when a doc breezily suggests a dietary elimination, and then goes out for a mocacchino without thinking twice about the poor mom who has likely been consigned to a year or more of probably unnecessary food limitations!

Since green poop in an otherwise happy, healthy, growing baby is not a health concern, I suggest that you stop worrying about gluten, beer, caffeine or little green men from Mars. I would probably keep on with the diary elimination, because you felt like you saw a positive result after stopping the dairy, and because dairy is probably the most common offender when it comes to allergy/intolerance. I don't know if I'd eliminate soy. I would definitely consider the possibility that this is related to oversupply, since that's probably the most common cause of green, watery stools. So, do you ever see any of the following:
    - Frequent engorgement or feelings of fullness
    - Frequent leaking
    - Able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease (if pumping)
    - Baby may choke, cough, gag, splutter, or make a clicking or clucking sound while nursing
    - If baby pulls off the breast while nursing, you may observe milk streaming or squirting from the breast
    - Baby make slip up or clamp down on the nipple
    - Baby may frequently pull off the breast and fuss
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So, do you ever see any of the following:
    - Frequent engorgement or feelings of fullness
    - Frequent leaking
    - Able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease (if pumping)
    - Baby may choke, cough, gag, splutter, or make a clicking or clucking sound while nursing
    - If baby pulls off the breast while nursing, you may observe milk streaming or squirting from the breast
    - Baby make slip up or clamp down on the nipple
    - Baby may frequently pull off the breast and fuss
    She might not, but my LO does all of that. And can easily pump around 4-5 oz AFTER a feeding. [also can, after a letdown, squirt milk across the bedroom!!!]
    Just wondering though..does the leaking with a letdown really stop?

OALD, fun.. fun stuff.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*paytek View Post
    She might not, but my LO does all of that. And can easily pump around 4-5 oz AFTER a feeding.
    If you can, stop pumping. Pumping only worsens OS and OALD. If you are at a point where you can exclusively nurse (I remember your baby was having some problems with milk transfer, so I don't know if you are there yet), then stepping away from the pump and frequent nursing will regulate your supply to meet your baby's needs. If you are still bottle feeding, then pump only when your baby gets a bottle and only pump as much as your baby drinks.

Just wondering though..does the leaking with a letdown really stop?
    It does stop eventually, but it is impossible to say when. I leaked at letdown until about 15 months. That is on the extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to leaking, though. Some moms only leak early on. Most stop leaking somewhere in the middle of those extremes. Pumping certainly doesn't help with that either, though.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I'm dealing with the EXACT same thing with my lo; I don't have much advice other than to not worry about it too much if he doesn't seem bothered by it. It worries me when he doesn't have "normal" looking poop, but it doesn't bother him!
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

If you can, stop pumping. Pumping only worsens OS and OALD. If you are at a point where you can exclusively nurse (I remember your baby was having some problems with milk transfer, so I don't know if you are there yet), then stepping away from the pump and frequent nursing will regulate your supply to meet your baby's needs. If you are still bottle feeding, then pump only when your baby gets a bottle and only pump as much as your baby drinks.
    My LC said to pump still to make a freezer supply, but only do it twice a day and stop when 4 oz comes out. I had to stop completely. I have 64 oz in the freezer--and that's plenty for me. I've been trying a little bit everything to get my OS/OALD to chill out, including adding a caffeinated drink (since I heard that can make your milk dry up).

ANYWAY, sorry to hijack this thread, mama.

The green poops--it might be an oversupply thing. Mine was. For a day or so my LO was filling up on only foremilk and all his diapers were green. I got worried ofcourse and decided to stop pumping completely! It regulated out within 24 hours.
    Is he on iron supplements/vitamins with iron in them, recently? Because that could be it.
    Is he an alien? (just kidding)

If he's not having painful poops and not having other crazy reactions.. (I still get the occasional green poop) and he's gaining weight, still pooping, etc;..then put it in the back of your mind as you think about all the colorful poops you've had over your lifetime.

TMI but that superman icecream will get you.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]