Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I keep trying....

Default Should I keep trying....

Or call it a day?? I had triplet boys on 5/10/2012 and began pumping right away in the hospital using a Medela Symphony. They were in the ICN for 13, 15 and 20 days. I brought them bm every time we visited, which was everyday. Because of visiting them and traveling 2 1/2 hours rt I didn't pump as much as I should have. I was able to get 2 to the breast in the ICN (the 3rd wouldn't wake up!) but haven't since because ever since I stopped using the Symphony my supply is pathetic. They get frustrated and I end up giving them formula. It takes me 2 days just to get 2 ounces. They are 6 weeks now and I just started pumping religiously yesterday. As much as I want to give them bm, it's been hard to pump every 2-3 hours. At this point, should I even bother trying?? I'm currently using a Medela Freestyle. Is it possible to increase my supply after all this time?

Default Re: Should I keep trying....

I have a mama who also had a cleft baby. She freaked out and quit trying to pump. Well, when she calmed down baby was some months old and not doing well on formula. She decided to relactate. Cleft babies can't nurse, so she and I worked out a plan, and she started pumping and has relactated and is providing all the milk her baby needs now.

I pumped every 2-3 hours for months, and I have four kids, so I think it is worth it. I'm still pumping for my cleft baby, who is now a big strapping toddler.

ETA: but a Freestyle is not enough. Save yourself the effort and rent a Symphony, make sure your horns are the right size and start pumping. See if any babies will nurse, as that is better for your supply than pumping. Pump for 120 minutes total every 24 hours, in at least 8 sessions, more is better. It takes weeks and weeks to rebuild supply, so dont be frustrated.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The Freestyle is not enough. Get a Symphony or some other hospital-grade machine, and do make sure the horns are the right size.

I know this is extremely difficult but nursing triplets can be done! My aunt managed to breastfeed her triplets for 6 months- at which time she was too exhausted to continue and switched to formula. But she did manage to provide enough for all three babies. And even if you can't provide the totality of your babies' diet, any milk you provide is still a huge benefit.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Absolutely. You can do this. Remember, its not an all or nothing thing. Whatever you can offer them is wonderful. I agree with the previous posters, try a better pump that is a good fit for you. You will get more output with less effort. In the meantime, what are you doing to increase your supply? I imagine you are really tired. Don't forget to keep up your fluids, eat oatmeal, you could also try fenugreek and mothers milk teas. Congrats on the triplets!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    And even if you can't provide the totality of your babies' diet, any milk you provide is still a huge benefit.
    For now, set realistic and reasonable goals that you can achieve. For triplets, who are born premature and need a lot of care in their early days, breastmilk provides even more medical advantages than it does for full term singletons! Every single drop, literally, counts! My boss was able to partially breastfeed her triplets for the first six months (she estimated she was able to produce enough milk for twins, but not quite triplets! with some effort and a lot of pumping, of course), and others have gone much longer. I know it's a huge amount of work, but what you're doing really MATTERS. Hang in there and do your best!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.