Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I was doing really well and now something is wrong

Red face I was doing really well and now something is wrong

I was doing really well bfing but now I feel like something is wrong. I usually wake with nice full breasts to feed my LO but on Friday when I woke they seemed empty. They didn't feel full at all! We had gotten really bad sleep and she nursed most of the night so I credited to that. Well same thing Saturday morning and then today. She is nursing for almost 2 hours on both breasts, before Friday I only ever nursed her on one side and she was always full and content. Recently I started having a burning sensation in my right breast when she's almost done feeding and for a while after. Now this morning I'm having the burning in both breasts. Also my right nipple looks white. Not like it has something on it but like its usually pink and now it's white. It goes back to normal sometimes but for the most part it's white. I don't have money to see consultant and I wish I did because she loves being breast fed, and I love nourishing my baby and bonding with her. I will also mention that I've done light pumping maybe and ounce here and there, in 2 weeks accumulative maybe 6 oz. that's so there's a bottle if we are out and about and I'm unable to feed, but I corrected that Friday by buying a moby wrap and a nursing drape, which I love both!! Could any of this happened because I wore a bra to bed a couple times? Her outputs are good also, but I'm uncomfortable with the burning and why am I not full? Ahhh, I don't want to fail. Thank you for your help ladies.

Default Re: I was doing really well and now something is wrong

Ok well as for your breast not having the full feeling, thats totally normal! Not to worry. Its actually a sign that your body is in tune with baby, its making exactly what baby needs. At first most of us have a slight oversupply and then, as youre experiencing, our supply regulates with baby. It is necessary to continue nursing on demand, im glad to hear you can nurse while out now because you have to pump if you miss a feed.

As long as baby is meeting mile stones and output is good, i wouldnt worry.

As for the burning, it can be a few things. Possibly thrush. What does baby's mouth look like, or actually what does your nipple look like after nursing, what shape? Do you have pain deep inside breast?
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; June 24th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Check this link about nipple blanching

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/

Its often confused with thrush
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Good information from Jenna. A lot of moms freak out when they go from feeling "full" all the time to suddenly feeling empty. But frequently feeling full just means you're making too much milk, and you shouldn't expect that in the long term. One your supply is in sync with baby's needs, it is normal to experience any or all of the following:
    - decreased or absent letdown sensation
    - decreased or absent leaking
    - less output when pumping
    - suddenly needing to use both breasts at a feeding, whereas before the baby only required one

That being said, tight bras can diminish supply, so if you happened to wear a constricting one to bed, that could be at fault.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't wear any kind of bra to bed except a sleep bra. And avoid bras with wires in them all the time. While the burning you experiencing definitely sounds like nipple blanching or Thrush, underwire bras can cause plugged ducts which can in turn lead to mastitus.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Check this link about nipple blanching

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/

Its often confused with thrush
    I get that. Reynaud's Phenomenon. During the colder months my nips will turn blue or purple with some pale white in the middle. The pain is like a horrid seering burning sensation until I heat them up again. It's awful.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

I don't have money to see consultant and I wish I did because she loves being breast fed,
    You may not need to see anyone, nothing you have posted here is particularly alarming, but if you do find the issues too much to handle on your own, formula is very expensive as well, so it may be more cost affective to get professional help if it comes to that. But just FYI there are sometimes other options for free or low cost help-

Do you have a local breastfeeding support group? Have you contacted your hospital or doctor to see if there may be a consultant you can see? Government programs? Local breastfeeding coalition you can call to see if they know of any free or low cost programs?

I suggest you get a good breastfeeding manual. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) is the most complete and up to date one available. It is less than $15.00 online and you should be able to get it or request it at your library. To avoid undue panic and making choices that make things more difficult, it is important for breastfeeding moms to know what is normal & what is not, and how avoid difficulties, and how to deal with issues quickly when and if they do arise.

I agree the blanching and burning sounds like vasospasm which can happen with or independently of thrush. Try the ideas for vasospasm and talk to your hcp about thrush treatments for you and your baby. There are many different protocols for treating thrush, so you will want to research that a bit as well to make sure you are being given appropriate treatment. Good breastfeeding websites with generally accurate info are this one, kellymom.com, http://www.nbci.ca/ There is lots of misinformation about breastfeeding on the web, so be careful.

As long as baby is gaining well there is nothing to worry about as far as how your breasts feel, baby nursing frequently, etc. What you describe is normal. You do not mention how old baby is, but in general in the early months it is important to nurse quite frequently throughout the day and at least once or twice night. Assuming you have not started using a hormone based bc method that can impact supply, IF milk supply is going down, it is almost always because the frequent nursing is not happening. The way to bring it back up is to nurse more.

Wow, amazed yet again at the support here. I did call the hospitals lactation consultant and she agrees, along with myself, that it is nipple blanching. I have a plan to resolve this problem and to keep nursing, nursing, nursing. We have spent a lovely day in mamas bed just nursing, playing and napping. I will miss these days. I do believe after a closer look that she is in fact getting enough, and I think she's going through a growth spurt. I was going to brag before that she was 7.15 at birth and on her Tuesday wellness check she was 9.1lbs. She's grown 3 inches and I am very proud! The nurse told me I must have good mama milk. thanks for the support once again ladies! Sometimes you just need that pat on the back and the keep at it attitude.

When a baby goes through a growth spurt it can make even a mama with oversupply feel empty for a couple days!

So much of breastfeeding is a confidence game - if you feel like you can do it, you can do it. If you're constantly second guessing yourself, you can easily run into problems (by supplementing, for example). It sounds like you're doing GREAT! Baby is thriving, you're doing well, you can relax!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.