Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby unable to get enough milk

Unhappy Baby unable to get enough milk

So after a lot of fighting and crying, we made it past the bottle preference and were doing great. Baby is 5 weeks old now and has a new problem. For the last week or so she has been wanting to nurse almost constantly at night, and everyone i talked to said that's normal for some babies. But two days ago she started doing the same thing during the day as well when she used to go every 3-3.5 hrs between feedings. I was thinking maybe it was a growth spurt, but when i looked closer, she nurses for about 5 minutes and then gets mad cuz there's no more milk. We still have to use a nipple shield because i haven't been able to get her to latch without it after the whole bottle fiasco. There's still plenty of milk left after she quits getting any and she wants to nurse every hour because she's not getting enough milk to get full. Earlier she nursed for a little over two hours i can pump after she falls asleep and still get milk but i don't want to have to give her a bottle again in case she refuses to nurse again. Is there anything we can do to help her get enough milk to get full? Any idea why she all the sudden is unable to get enough milk to get full in under 2 hours anymore?

Default Re: Baby unable to get enough milk

it is normal for infants to nurse constantly. esp during a growth spurt. i would not think it is that she cannot get enough milk. she is telling your body how much milk to make.

changing her eating patterns is also normal. i would read through this link to help with the fussiness.

do you use a baby carrier to kee her close? i would recommend just sitting in a cozy spot and nursing as much as she needs.

how is her diaper output?

Growth spurt
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Growth spurt. Also, as babies wake up more and more those long intervals between feedings are a thing of the past. Nursing every 1-2 hours is totally normal. But I do think you want to work hard towards ditching the shield. Shields can slow or reduce milk transfer, and also stimulation to the breast, and that can sometimes make it harder for baby to take in enough milk when nursing and can make it harder for baby to increase your supply during a growth spurt. Not saying that this is what is happening, just that it makes sense to ditch the shield if you can!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

nipple shields are a double edged sword.
    Yes, they can entice a hard to latch infant to take the breast
    Yes, they can ease the mother's pain from a less than optimal latch
    yes, they can be the only workable stepping stone to facilitate breastfeeding.
    But, they prevent a growing baby from elongating the nipple past the hard palate...a process needed to transfer/stimulate mother's milk
    but they prolong the time it takes for mom's nipples to heal and adjust to a nursing baby's mouth
    But they can become yeast infected and pass the fungus back and forth to mom.

Nipple shields have a cautionary history. They can impart a false sense of proficiency.
    you can wean from the shield. information on how to wean from the shield can be found at the kellysmom website.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I have no idea how to get rid of it. I hate the stupid thing but every time i've tried to get rid of it, no matter how i tried, she just screams until i put it back

I meant kellymom. search for info on nipple shield. She has really good advice in easy to read format. Good luck!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Also: It is really common for babies to cluster-feed at this age - eating on and off for hours and then taking breaks ... well, hopefully taking breaks. I experienced this with my LO. As a PP said it's important to give the LO access and respond to the demand during this (challenging!) time, because they are helping to establish/increase your supply by nursing so often. AND: It does sound like a growth spurt! Things may be different in a few days ... sounds like you are doing great. Hang in there!!

PS, also before assuming she isn't getting enough - check diaper output as PP mentioned. And how's her weight gain been? Sorry if I missed that info elsewhere.

Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one using those stupid shields! DS is 9 1/2 weeks and we've been trying to learn how to do it au natural since week 3. His temperament is just like mine (poor guy! ) and he'll only accept it when he's already semi-full or sleepy and I'm making a "sandwich" and after he's drawn out my flat nipple through the shield...sometimes. Otherwise he seems to know exactly what he wants and won't have it any other way (read: screams).

Best of luck and I hope you find success sooner than we
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]