Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I feel like breastfeeding is slipping away- help! (LONG POST

Default Re: I feel like breastfeeding is slipping away- help! (LONG

Susan called me over. I'm a lawyer, and I also work for a law firm. I pumped until Joe was one. Do you have an office with a door that closes? Because if you do, you can just hang a do-not-disturb sign on your door and pump while carrying on with your regular business - work on drafting memos/motions, take phone calls (I found no one could hear the pump unless it was on speaker), write emails, do computer research, etc. Not a problem. I actually think it's easier to pump as an attorney than in a lot of jobs, because we do tend to have our own private space. I travel a lot for work as well, and I got to be a pro at pumping in the car. Before going into court, after court, before meetings, in parking lots, even while driving! I think you just have to rethink things a little bit. As an attorney, you do carry a lot of authority and if you are very self-assured and show no weakness or embarrassment about it (this is just the way it is), you may be surprised at how matter-of-fact everyone around you is too! Occasionally I would struggle to fit a pumping in around a big meeting, or something like that, but pumping schedules don't have to be written in stone. There is some flexibility. You can usually move the pumping around a little to accommodate your schedule. I carried a hand pump with me for long meetings, that I could use in the bathroom just to make sure I didn't get too engorged.

I'm not saying it wasn't work. It takes discipline and creativity. But there are professions that are MUCH harder for pumping. Like teaching. Those women barely get bathroom breaks!

P.S. You totally need a hands-free set-up so that you can multitask and work while pumping. That is necessary.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am a veterinarian. I have pumped for three kids (although I don't work full time) and I full time pump for my fourth child. You block off time. You get a hands free bra. As soon as I'm done with an emergency, I pump. I tell my staff to run interference with clients who may walk in, that I will see them as soon as possible. I write in my charts, make call backs, etc., while pumping. I pump either in our consult room or treatment room, so if you have your own office, you are even more ahead of the game...hang a sign on the door and pump.

We have lots of nurse, physician, veterinarian, lawyer, etc moms, and it works out
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

P.P.S. I also struggled with plugged ducts and that was the hardest thing about pumping on such an irregular schedule - hence the need for the hand pump, frequent massage, nursing at night, massage in the hot shower every morning. Basically, I had to stay on top of the clogs all the time, I couldn't get lax about that. The good news is that those usually get a lot better after the first few months and then you only need to worry about going WAY longer than you should between pumping (of course, that's never good, and you want to pump frequently, but it's bound to happen here and there when a meeting runs 4 hours instead of the 2 you expected, etc.). Most of the time, if I started to feel a clog at work, I could go home, take my baby to bed with me, encourage him to nurse during the night, and it would be better in the morning. Carry a hand pump and don't be afraid to whip it out for five minutes in the bathroom, it can really help.

Basically, this is do-able. You can do it. Project confidence about it to the people around you (especially those old male partners you work for, I'm familiar with the drill!), and they will follow suit. Show no weakness! NEVER apologize.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; June 25th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

also I added meetings or out of office segments to my calendar so my assistant wouldn't schedule me out of office a few times a day...just 20 mins and it was never an issue because I didn't ask permission.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well, maybe it can work then! I just never thought it was possible to pump so much at my job! I wish I could just pump in my office -- I have my own office, but all of the doors have windows on them. So annoying. I'll have to give this some more thought. I wish I worked with more laid-back attorneys. The men I work for are seriously nuts. lol One of them actually sent his secretary into the bathroom one time to tell me he needed to see me right away. I had literally just left his office and run to the bathroom to pee! They behave as though EVERYTHING is an emergency. Nuts, I tell you! I will definitely give it more thought.

Right now, my priority is getting my milk supply back up. I hope I see some improvement in the next few days. I really don't want to supplement because I know I need to nurse her AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, but her weight loss scares me! And it is truly horrible to see her get upset and cry when she can't get enough at the breast. Ugh, makes me feel awful. It isn't just fussing or crying; sometimes her little lip quivers and her eyes fill with tears and she just looks and acts distraught. I also have her thrush under control and she seems to be much better. I noticed that when she had it really bad and her tongue was covered in white that she just didn't nurse well. This was all going on last week when my milk supply dropped. Trying to stay positive here!

Hang some curtains. Get a cover. Be strong. Your baby is more important than a job. I also blocked off times and it was not an issue. I sometimes juggled two or three clients at a time to make up, but oh well.

Switch back and forth. This stimulates letdowns.

Thrush can make them not want to nurse as well, so having it under control will help.

Don't freak over weight loss yet. There are so many variables to weight that I don't get hung up on it after what we went through with our youngest. If she is down next week then I might freak out
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

see if you can get some blinds for the windows. when i was pumping there were 4 of us trying to use the same room so sometimes we got...creative. i found that confidence and never asking permission was a huge thing. and i found my bosses were way easier to tell than my coworkers. make your bosses aware that they can get you by phone or email even when you are pumping. and if someone asks where you are or what you are doing NEVER use euphamisms. they either get embarrassed as all get out or respect that you are multi-tasking, the euphamisms make them feel like you are ashamed and show weakness. you can do this.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

thrush - you are treating both of you, correct? and sterilizing all bottles and pump parts in boiling water - the microwave steamers are not enough to prevent retransmission

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Blinds or curtains is such a great idea! I never thought of that! Pumping in my own office would be so much more convenient. And I will be sure to never show embarrassment and to stand my ground. I had to start doing that when I was pregnant. For example, with the one guy I had to put my foot down about eating. He expected me to go 8+ hours without eating. What an a$$, right?! The guys I work for have never dealt with a woman going on maternity leave or pumping at work. I've been told that most women (or men, for that matter) don't stick around to work with them. They are pretty difficult. I work for a large firm but in one of the smaller offices (prob 50 attys at my office). And in my section (litigation section), I'm the only female. This should be interesting.

I am treating both of us for thrush. I was prescribed nystatin for her, but read on my own that it's less effective than other treatments. I got grapefruit seed extract and it has worked wonders so far! I am wondering, though, how long I need to swab her mouth with that grapefruit seed extract. I am still giving her the nystatin. As for me, I am using APNO (all purpose nipple ointment), but I have seen less improvement. I am also taking a pill they prescribed (is it called difulcan or something like that? I don't have it here with me and forget what it is called). I think maybe I'm seeing less improvment because I can never leave that APNO on for very long. She nurses so often now! I swear by the time I apply the stuff she is right back on again! I am boiling the bottles, pacifiers and pump parts every night before bed. I hope this stuff goes away soon. It's not fun and I'd rather be spending my time pumping and working on my milk supply!

Diflucan (long and high dose) for both of us and gse pills for me was what finally killed mine. you need to use the gse until after all signs on both of you are gone. it will get better i promise. it finally cleared up about a week before i went back to work (part time 8 weeks). you've got this mama.

ETA sorry you are working with neanderthal bullies

Family beds are awesome