need help reading his code
My LO is3 weeks.
1. Is he supposed to be more alert now, or am I just not feeding him enough?
2. We had breastfeeding issues before, so I had been pumping. Because of this, lactation consultant said only have baby at breast for 15 minutes at a time, offer bottle after. Today he emptied my right breast after 20, and still ate about 4 oz of milk after, and then still acted crazy hungry. What gives?
3. We do co sleeping, and he seems to sleep better when closer to me, but doesn't want to wake himself up for food during our day time naps. I wake him up, eventually (3 hr mark). Anyone else experience this?
4. If it's been 2 hours ( since last feeding), and he stirs, briefly sucks on his hand, and goes back to sleep, is he hungry and should I wake him or wait until he wakes himself? (I don't let him sleep more than 2.5 hours at a stretch during the day, 3.5 at night)
5. We give him a pacifier to help him get to sleep. Is it possible that he would ever be hungry and not eat because he was given the pacifier? He does spit it out if hungry in lieu for bottle/breast.
This really boils down to...I don't want him to go hungry. He had weight issues ( took 2 weeks to get back to birthweight) because of milk movement. The lactation consultant and many reassuring friends tell me that if he's hungry, at this age, he will definitely let me know.
But I'm really scared about missing his cues or neglecting him in one way or another and him not getting fed or thriving.
Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]