Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decrease in milk supply or growth spurt?

Default decrease in milk supply or growth spurt?

I am bfing my dd who will be 3MO next week. My periods returned two days back and since then my dd is slightly fussy and demanding to be fed almost every hour, sometimes less than an hour, except for last night when she slept for 5h straight. I can feel a letdown almost everytime I feed her and seems like she is having her fill.

She normally feeds every 2 h, 1.5 h during the evenings and 3h at nights. I am trying to figure if her increased frequency is due to growth spurt or a decrease in milk supply due to menstruation. If its a decrease due to menstruation, is it going to stay the same, can I do something to increase the supply ? Or will I have to supplement her with something else (I hope not)
    any advice or comments are welcome

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: decrease in milk supply or growth spurt?

There are lots of options that could explain what you're experiencing. This could be the big growth spurt that hits around 3 months- if you hadn't mentioned getting your period I would have said that it was almost certain to be the spurt! It could also be teething- many babies begin to teethe around 3 months though the teeth may not break through the gums for many months to come. It could also be related to your period- many moms notice a drop in supply around the time their periods return. Provided you just roll with he frequent demand, there is absolutely no reason to think you will need to supplement. The best way to increase supply is always to simply nurse, nurse, nurse... And then nurse some more!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If it is due to your period, it will come back up after a few days. Just nurse through it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If its due to my period, will that happen during every cycle??

She is still fussier, feeding every 1 h most of the day and feeding both breasts, whereas before she used to feel full on one.
    Arrgh !! this is getting scarier
    I just qualified for the milk bank, so in two weeks i have gone from being able to pump 4-8 oz more than she can drink to having severe doubts about my milk producing capacity...

Often moms experience a supply dip with every cycle- but again, as long as you nurse on demand, it's just temporary.

It's very normal for moms who start out feeding on just one breast per feeding to eventually need to transition to using both. I had a monster oversupply with my second baby, and needed to block feed for months, but by around 6 months I had to transition to using both breasts in order to keep my kid fed.

It's also normal for pump output to slump at a certain point, often coinciding with the return of your period. This is why we urge moms not to donate or dump their milk too early- you never know when things may change up on you.

Please don't be too concerned, mama. It sounds like you've done wonderfully well so far and there's no reason to think that your future with this baby is going to be anything less than perfect.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you were able to pump all that extra milk, you had a bit of oversupply. Your supply is almost certainly regulating to meet the needs of YOUR baby, which is why you feel so different. Donating your milk is very admirable and of course donated breastmilk is very needed. But biology is a bit harsh, does not know from milk banks, and is looking out for you and your baby. And the best thing purely from a biological pov for you and your baby is for you to make ENOUGH milk, not more than enough. This does not mean you will not be able to donate going forward. That depends on many factors.

Don't be scared, Let baby nurse. This is why cue feeding is so important and sceduling messes breastfeeding up-because things change and babies need to nurse more frequently some times. Your baby knows what to do to get/keep that milk production where it needs to be.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 24th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It's very normal for moms who start out feeding on just one breast per feeding to eventually need to transition to using both. I had a monster oversupply with my second baby, and needed to block feed for months, but by around 6 months I had to transition to using both breasts in order to keep my kid fed.
    Same here.

Pumping became a giant pain for me around that time too. In the early months I could pump 8-10 ounces in minutes, easy. Once my supply regulated, I struggled just to pump enough for the next day. But as disagreeable as pumping became, it was still way better than oversupply. Unfortunately that's just the way it is supposed to be. Our bodies simply aren't built for pumping; they are built for nursing.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).