Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6-week-old with bad gas and green stools at night

Question 6-week-old with bad gas and green stools at night

For the past month my 6-week-old baby has had terrible gas at night and now for the last week and a half she's started having greenish frothy stools along with it (her stools are normal the rest of the day).

I realize this could be an oversupply issue but I've been block nursing for 3 weeks already, plus she cluster feeds in the evening and my supply is quite low that time of day anyway so it seems like she would be getting plenty of hindmilk?

Any thoughts or suggestions? This problem is really interfering with her sleep

Default Re: 6-week-old with bad gas and green stools at night

If you are not already doing so, try nursing in a reclined position. That can help with some of the gas due to overactive letdown often seen with oversupply.

I had both terrible oversupply and overactive letdown, and I needed to give a tummy massage then bicycle my son's legs between every feeding so the gas wouldn't build up and cause serious evening pain. I also gave a warm bath followed by more leg bicycling every evening.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thank you for the tip about reclined nursing, I'll definitely start doing that! We've been doing colic massage and bicycling her legs at every diaper change and it's helped a LOT with her gas during the day, but for some reason it still gets really bad at night.

I think some degree of evening fussiness is unavoidable when you have a gassy baby. Honestly, even not so gassy babies can be really fussy in the evening, especially at 6 weeks. The warm bath was the only thing that would stop the screaming for my son many nights at that age. I would also carry him more upright in the sling and rub his back. Going outside for a short walk in the sling helped too. Mostly he just grew out of it though. Passing gas started to make him giggle after awhile.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    I think some degree of evening fussiness is unavoidable when you have a gassy baby. Honestly, even not so gassy babies can be really fussy in the evening, especially at 6 weeks.
    Neither of my girls were gassy babies, but they were still inconsolable evening screamers. And I do mean SCREAMERS! They'd start crying at around 7-8 o'clock, and continue for 2-3 hours. Yeah. Good times!

Phi suggested a warm bath, the sling, and outside time. In addition, try white noise (like the static between channels on the radio), keep your house calm (lights, stereo, and tv down or off), and motion (rocking, swinging, stroller ride, bounce on excersize ball, etc.).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Lately I've been trying to burp ds during his night feedings before he falls back asleep. Usually he'll drift off still latched, so I try to unlatch him before that happens, get a burp out, and then let him latch back on until he falls asleep.

I also struggle with os/oald, and just when I think things are heading in the right direction, he'll feed like crazy all day, barely nurse for 5 minutes after a long stretch of sleep at night, and then the green poops return. I've stopped stressing out about the color and consistency a few weeks ago (thanks to lots of advice from the moms on here).

Also, I don't drink/eat much dairy to begin with, but it seems like he's more uncomfortable after I have something with cheese in it or cooked in butter, so I'm going to stay as dairy free as I can for a long time.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

I just wanted to make sure that when you are block feeding you are still nursing very frequently overall. This is important when block feeding (or anytime oald is an issue) or it could make the oald worse and even possibly reduce milk supply TOO much.
    Keep trying all the ideas for helping baby handle the flow too, esp laid back. Sometimes laid back takes some finagling but it's worth it. I like this article: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/