Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you stink ever since you bf?

Default Do you stink ever since you bf?

I know my question is weird but I notice that I start to smell more strongly ever since I bf. Specifically my arm pits. Pre-pregnancy, any normal deodorants and salt sprays keep my smell under control just fine. However, nothing seems to work any more now. I feel that I stink through my shirt and I'm embarrassed to be around people! I feel sorry for my baby who has to smell me in close proximity when he's feeding! I smell stronger down there too and I stink through panty liners and onto my panties! I don't have any yeast infection though.
    Anyone with similar experience? Is there anything I can do? Will I go back to my non-stinky self?

Default Re: Do you stink ever since you bf?

My guess is that your baby is unfazed and may even be comforted by the familiar mommy smell. They don't have our modern hang-ups with smell.

Have you asked your spouse/SO or a close friend if they've noticed a change? It's possible that the hormonal changes are affecting your sense of smell rather than your actual body odour. I know I am much more sensitive to my own BO when I'm pregnant. Maybe this happens with nursing as well??

My husband doesn't notice anything but he is not very sensitive to smell in the first place. I didn't ask any of my friends...I'm embarrassed to ask! I do notice another nursing friend of mine who smells stronger!

How old is your baby? Could it have anything to do with taking less showers? I think that when we have newborns, showers become a very minimal priority and usually go from happening every day or every other day to 2 or 3 times a week if we can fit it in. Are you taking less showers?

Way too lazy for formula

Nope I take the same no of showers. But I notice that I do perspire more. Hmmm...

Good suggestions from the PPs. I particularly like Manitobamommy's thought about a more sensitive nose being a component.

An increase in vaginal odor could be due to hormones. When a mom breastfeeds, her estrogen levels are lower for a while. This means decreased ability to lubricate and an overall drier vaginal environment, which can cause different odor.

I also recently read a really fascinating article about vaginal bacteria during pregnancy- it turns out that when we are pregnant, the vagina's normal bacterial flora experiences a marked increase in species of lactobacilli. Lactobacilli help the human gut digest milk, and it's possible that having more of them in the vagina during childbirth helps provide a baby's digestive system with a healthy bacterial flora. Of course, returning to a non-pregnant state, bacterially speaking, will take some time, and maybe during that time a women might experience different smells.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I also recently read a really fascinating article about vaginal bacteria during pregnancy- it turns out that when we are pregnant, the vagina's normal bacterial flora experiences a marked increase in species of lactobacilli. Lactobacilli help the human gut digest milk, and it's possible that having more of them in the vagina during childbirth helps provide a baby's digestive system with a healthy bacterial flora. Of course, returning to a non-pregnant state, bacterially speaking, will take some time, and maybe during that time a women might experience different smells.
    That is interesting. Lactobacillus species produce lactic acid as a by product of their metabolism. I can see how that could alter odor. The lactic acid is a very good thing though; the lowered pH protects you from yeast and other infections.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    How old is your baby? Could it have anything to do with taking less showers? I think that when we have newborns, showers become a very minimal priority and usually go from happening every day or every other day to 2 or 3 times a week if we can fit it in. Are you taking less showers?
    Reading this made me feel like so much less of a bum. It was hard getting a shower in with a little baby.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I thought that too with #1, but I haven't noticed it with #2.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I've noticed the same thing too. Figured it was just hormones being whacky.

Interesting info mommal!
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together

For all my nerd peeps-
    The original article, from PLoS1: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0036466
    Much more readable article about the article, from the NY Times: http://nyti.ms/MBzq9E
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"