Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting to be too much

Default Getting to be too much

I have trouble figuring out where to begin, so heres the whole story

at the hospital, i had what was probably the usual amount of pain and soreness that comes with your nipples adjusting and "toughening up." it wasnt bad. in fact, the doctor came in and told me on the last day that him and the nurses were all talking about how well i did in delivery and was doing with breastfeeding, especially since im only 19. even said they wished all their other patients would be more like me.

i dont think i had really any problem until my milk came in. my cup size went from a B to a DD and i got so engorged my little guy could barely fit my nipple in his mouth. then a couple days later, the opposite happened. instead of holding it all in, i was CONSTANTLY leaking like a faucet! i dont have nearly enough bras and shirts to change as fast as i soaked through them, so a lot of the time i had to let it just dry on me.

So around what im guessing was the one week, i started to have really bad pain before, during, and after feeding and it gradually got worse. my nipples burned, pain shot up the sides, little red bumps came and went, and both of them cracked. i was suspiciuos of thrush, as it would make sense for i was still soaking through a shirt in 10 minutes.

My son had a docotors appt around week 3 and i figured id ask about it then. he checked his mouth and said he saw nothing and took a quick glance at me(honestly, really quick, but it was an appt for my son not me), said "hmm, yeah" and perscribed me an ointment. i asked if we should treat the baby too because it can transfer and he said that it wouldnt be a problem because he didnt have it.

well, i used the ointment religiously and stillwas in a lot of pain. I'm talking the same toe-curling pain that ive been gritting my teeth for the last 3 weeks. finally it got too much and i decided i was going to have to pump and bottle feed until it healed.

Since then the burning has lessened but still affects me a couple times a day, the shooting pain is mostly gone; however now im really itchy ALL the time, which i thought could be from healing but maybe not. And the scabs from the cracks dont look like theyve even started to heal, theyre still huge, white/yellow, and really moist even after going shirtless for the past week. i also noticed that my breasts get really hot and red during and after pumping. Its been over a week and it feels like its really not getting any better. im sick of the pain and frustration. most of all im sick of pumping, but cant force myself to put him back on anymore. im afraid he wont take my breast once they get better (if they ever do!). basically im all around miserable and freaking out. Ive tried everything i could find on promoting healing and nothing works.

Just looking for some help and encouragement, please!

Default Re: Getting to be too much

Is the ointment you were prescribed for thrush? There are many treatments for thrush, some better than others.

I am concerned about your symptoms which could be thrush, could be a bacterial infection, could just be the affects of really bad nipple injury-or some combo. All are solvable but it's just a bit complicated knowing how to proceed. I think you really need some hands on help.

What local breastfeeding resources are available to you? There may be a local LLL, a local breastfeeding coalition, a local govt. funded program (such as WIC in the US) If you do not know and your doctor or hospital does not know where you can get competent help, contact your local LLL, and if they do not know or there is not one near enough, pm me with your location and I will try to find out for you.

What I would like is for you to see a IBCLC-Board Certified Lactation Consultant, one who is experienced with poor latch, nipple pain and breast injury. You can hire these folks, usually for around $100 or so, but if that is not possible there may be other ways you can see someone.

Unfortunately doctors are not required to know anything about breastfeeding assistance. Many do know a lot, but many know very little, and almost none of them have the time to really help a mom who is struggling.

The pumping could be making it worse if your horns are ill fitting, which they usually are for moms using the stock horns, which are usually too small. You really do need some hands on help to diagnose and treat your sore nipples.

Most docs get zero to a total of 12 hours in medical school about breastfeeding. You need a lactation consultant ASAP. If you can't afford one, call one anyway. Usually they are willing to help moms for very little...they get into it because they want to help, not to get rich.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Excellent advice, as always, from the PPs. I just want to add that if you do have thrush, treating the baby is a must. It is common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic though both are infected.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It doesn't sound like it might be mastitus to anyone? Shooting pain up the side? Little red Bumps? All this due to heavy engorgement in a short period of time?

Way too lazy for formula

Definitely a possibility. LLLMeg's suggestion that this could be a bacterial infection is just another way of saying "mastitis"- right?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Not necessarily. You can have a bacterial infection on the skin at the same time as a yeast infection (thrush).
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Definitely a possibility. LLLMeg's suggestion that this could be a bacterial infection is just another way of saying "mastitis"- right?

Right. I was thinking bacterial infection of the nipple. But it could be mastitis too but that would be a result of the nipple injury not the cause. In other words, if mastitis is going on I would think that is on top of the other issues op is having.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 23rd, 2012 at 12:14 PM.