Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 Week Old Sleeping At Breast

Question 2 Week Old Sleeping At Breast

I had two kidney stones right after giving birth, so I had to supplement formula for the first week. It is now the second week and I have switched to breastfeeding solely. My LO is constantly falling asleep at the breast after only 10 to 15 minutes of irregular feeding on one breast. I am trying to put a damp cloth on her body and fidget her around, but she still is difficult to keep nursing. I also try burping her and changing her diaper, but it only causes maybe a couple more minutes of nursing before she starts sleeping again. Today she has started to have green, really loose stool diapers. She is still urinating fine. I am worried she is getting only foremilk, so I tried pumping after she fed and bottle fed the ounce or so left over (that is all she let me pump before she woke up again). She also keeps waking up every time I put her back in her bed and screams her head off. I tried three times in a row to put her back on the breast, but again she went back to sleep after just a minute or two, then woke up as soon as I put her down. I know it is important for her to drain a breast, but I can't seem to get to do it. What can I do?

Default Re: 2 Week Old Sleeping At Breast

Wow it is amazing you are nursing after such a difficult start, I hope you are feeling better after your surgery!

10-15 minutes per nursing session is enough for some babies. What is key at this point is nursing FREQUENCY. Green poops can happen for any number of reasons or be normal. As long as baby is gaining appropriately, there is likely nothing to worry about. PLEASE do not worry about foremilk/hindmilk. So many moms stress about this and it is almost always a total non-issue. If you have something called forceful letdown, and it is really severe, in SOME CASES it can cause foremilk/hindmilk “imbalance” to be an issue but you would be seeing way more symptoms if that were going on- And even in those cases, it is still most healthy for baby to keep nursing, as ALL breastmilk is good for baby.

Read this article on what is normal and expected in the early weeks http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/ and the info in the diaper log here. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf Pay particular attention to how frequently a newborn should be nursing-a minimum of 12 times a day, and output-a minimum of 3-4 "OK" Sized poops a day

Additionally, babies can and will nurse in their sleep. Take a look at the video on the biological nurturing website here to see how a baby will cue even in sleep and take the breast even when very sleepy. http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Also do not worry about baby "draining" the breast. Your body is always making milk, so this will never happen. Again, the key to good supply and good weight gain is nursing effectively and frequently, not draining the breast.

Babies this age prefer to be held and will often object if laid down in the crib. Your babies behavior sounds normal to me.

I suggest the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) and, if available to you, to attend a La Leche League meeting.